Analog Delay -- Sounds Like Dying Robot?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
And Yet Another Question --

I have a Ibanez UE-305 analog multiFX box --
the one with compression, delay, and chorus

I was wondering what you all can tell me about the sounds produced by analog delay in general, and then relate that to the sound i am getting.

I suspect that this UE305 unit is just not up to snuff on it's delay sounds ...

at the right settings it sounds OK ... "right" being close to the smallest time gap setting, relatively low level setting and feedback to a little past the "8" mark (this unit doesn't echo more than 2 or 3 times unless you have it past 8, but at over 9 it is near infinite. i hate this, becaue there is VERY LITTLE PLAY available)

Here is the trouble though -- at the WRONG SETTINGS ... those being pretty much anything where the LEVEL knob is turned up so that the delay is very audible (like past 5) ... and especially when the Time setting gets pushed forward so that there is a noticable gap between the original note and the delay (ie. not a reverb like settting) the sound produced is HORRiBLE ...

I mean IT SOUNDS LIKE A ROBOT EATING ITSELF.
THeir is this horrible metallic sound ... i can't describe it beyond inorganic pain ... it's just not delay ... particularly if you do any SLIDE WORK ... it just transforms the note into this big disphoric mess. It sounds like what comes out of my old Roland SH202 bass keyboard when you mess with the envelopes.

Is this normal for analog delay? Do they typicaly have one or two SWEET SPOTS and the rest of the settings are unusable in a conventional sense?

Or is this peculiar to my MultiFX unit delay? (ie. it is not very good)

If i got the AD9 would that sound like BUTTER all the time?

HELP, HELP
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's probably self ocillating, dial back the repeats and it should stop.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.