Starter Guitar & Amp for my Nephew (in-law, well, almost)

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah ...

Can you guys help point me in the right direction.
I have a Nephew-in-law (almost, my fiancee's brother's son)
who is turning 12.

He is a really cool kid, a bit small for his size, and he loves to skate.
Like most pre-teen kids today, his musical influences aren't too well established. He is lucky enough to not have been taken by total crap, and he litsens to mostly new alternative (thank got it's not a bunch of rap) like The Killers, The Postal Service (which i've never heard of?) and likes Green Day, and (blech) Linkin Park ... but not much classic stuff or heavy metal. Most unfortunately, i bought him PJ's REARVIEWMIRROR for last Xmas, and have not heard mention of it sense. :( :( :(

However, I WOULD like to get him a GUITAR and AMP FOR HIS BIRTHDAY.
I assume, given his musical preference, a rockin' axe in the Gibson vein would be appropriate. Fenders would probably be a little to country\clean ... and anything with EMGs or metal-esque probably too squealy.

Also, when considering amps, his mom especially is very high strung, and would likely not tolerate a lot of noise.

So here is what i am thinking, and this is totally uneducated, as i know very little about cheap equipment ...

for the guitar:
an ESP EC-50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/516672/

or ESP Viper-50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/516676/
I know next to nothing about either of these, and have never played them. The MF reviews seem good, but they don't show the bad ones, right?
Does anyone know of anything else i should consider UNDER $200?
Was trying to stay away from the Epiphones, i don't like my Epi Les Paul, but if it was recommended over this ESP brand, well OK.

For AMPLIFIERS, i am just about clueless.
Paco posted that 15watt Peavy (or was it MIG, who did so) but even that is WAY out of budget. Not sure who else in the family is gonna throw down on this?

Was thinking either a PigNose or a DanElectro HoneyTone???
I know the DEs are solidstate crappers, but they are also only $30 ... the PigNoses can be either, the tubes costing round $250 ...

Does anyone know of ANYTHING that fits the bill for a VERY CHEAP but decent first amp? Between a PigNose and a Crate solid state i'd pick the PNose, just caues it has some character. I don't want this kid thinking "Man i got a bunch of generic poo." but rather "wow, this is awesome, and has some mojo."

Lemme know.
Also if anyone knows of better things that go on EBAY for not too much, i'd consider those as well.

Lastly,
i'm not stupid, i know he needs picks, and atleast a cable or two, and probably a guitar tuner. I'll get it figured out.

THANK YOU ALL :):):)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Check out the little Roland Cubes, they are nice, and the new little $150 vox modellers, loads of good tones. The roland cubes are a steal though at less than 100. I have an old Peavy Rage 158 (transtube) at my house that's perfect I bought for 75 bucks when I started, It just needs a new input jack.

I'd check out Ibanez (Talman, Jet King 2, S-series) the ESP's you are already investigating, and take a really good look at Schecter too. They have some really nice stuff in that range. I saw a badass ESP in that same model range with Grovers, a Jazz and a JB already installed for 500 bucks. So they are really feeling the bite from Schecters good stuff lately.

Postal Service is Electronic Emo.

In other words, the Keytar is coming back into fashion.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    I can absolutely recommend the micro cube. It's a great little amp for the price, most versatile. Some effects too. Not all top notch but it can be useful when he keeps playing (and buying :D), because he can get a general idea what the different amps and fx sound like.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd get this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510629/

With this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480196/

In addition, you'll need a strap, some picks, a 10-15 foot cable, and probably an electronic tuner. You should be able to get it all together for about $300.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'd get this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510629/

With this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480196/

In addition, you'll need a strap, some picks, a 10-15 foot cable, and probably an electronic tuner. You should be able to get it all together for about $300.

I see I've converted everybody to the microcube! Or did you all do that yourselves.
    I recommend the microcube out of all starter amps anymore. It's a great little thing that sounds cool runs on ac current or batteries and goes anywhere,, for $125.00
    It's the one in my livingroom now,,,,, the Marshall, Twin, couple of boogies and and the Ampeg SVT are in the storeroom now!

That affinity Strat MIG has up there looks pretty decent, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

True, got it after trying & wgetting advice here... thanks again :D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Scheter PT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7311716136&rd=1

Any ideas what $$$ range this may end up at?
    Probably too much, but it's nice.

ESP LTd EC-300P
    with Duncan Seymore P-90s (noise cancelling? or true to original?)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33038&item=7310720035&rd=1

I know neither of these are going to be nearly as versatile as the Squire Strat that MIG so kindly pointed me towards.
    I really think that his suggestion will end up winning out.
    I never wanted to consider Squires ... just something about them scares me. But with the humbucker and the single coils totaling to THREE PU's, it seems by far the most versatile.

And going off my own experience with p-90's , as much as I LOVE THEM, i just question if they are the right pup's for a beginner ... especially with a small solid state practice amp. Probably a little too fuzzy, and not versatile at all.

Any thoughts, please throw 'em this way.
    SUHWEET :)
  • not to but in or anything, I don't know much, I'm a beginner.

I would consider getting him a cheap acoustic and some books or lessons. Don't spend too much and get your hopes up too high. The kid may not like playing or he may not be willing to put in the time. The kid can always upgrade to anything, but buying him too much might put pressure on him.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• honestly, sounds stupid but the squier start up kit is nice, i havent used it but from what ive heard it helps a lot
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Hey WMR ...

Eh ... it's a good suggestion but i gotta veto it.
    All i know is for the first couple of years in my formative days on guitar all i had was an acoustic.

AND IT WAS HORRIBLE.
    When you want to rock, and all you have is an acoustic, it is just pure misery.

Also, there being no pickups involved, a cheap acoustic is, IMHO, about 200 times worse than a cheap electric. The sound is often muted and the intonation always sucks. They go out of tune like a drunken bamma on the jew harp (just coined that broke ass phrase myself).

All in all, $300 for, what MIG has shown to be a pretty damn good 3 P\U strat, AND a modeling amp ... i am not stressed. Particulary considering if everything goes right, i will have atleast 3 or 4 other people (parents, and aunts) sharing the cost with me.

I know that had i been given an electric when i was in my preteens (instead of at 16) i would be MUCH farther along with my music. And honestly i'm not concerned if he wants to "put in the time" ... the worst that could happen is he becomes a "casual" player and has atleast a semi-constructive hobby to spend time on instead of the playstation.

I look at it as a public service.

But who am i to say.

WHAT ABOUT MY QUESTION IN THE 2nd POST UP FROM THIS? Pacoma? MIG?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    WHAT ABOUT MY QUESTION IN THE 2nd POST UP FROM THIS? Pacoma? MIG?

You mean about the PT Tele? It'll be pricey. $500 or more. And the ESP's P-90's are gonna be single-coils, I'm sure.

The Squier stuff is really very good for the price... just as Epiphone is compared to Gibson. The most important thing will be getting it set up right. Give the kid 9-42 strings to start. Strat's got a longer scale, so it'll be easier to play anyways (unless he's a small kid for his age). But the best thing is the versatility... three pups, with a humbucker in the bridge. Besides, if he's a punk rocker, look at what most punkers play these days... strats with hb's in the bridge...

And, just to play devil's advocate... if the kid gives up on it, you can always sell the guitar and amp for close to their original value. Not much loss overall.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Strat's got a longer scale, so it'll be easier to play anyways (unless he's a small kid for his age).

Hey MIG ...

Just curious here ...
    YES HE IS ...
    VERY SMALL FOR HIS AGE ...

Ok, he isn't a midget or anything ... but he is extremely skinny and ... appears to be on the short side ... i would definately be willing to say his hands are small ... even for his age ...

How would this affect your recommendation?
    I'm sure he could "grow in to the Fat Strat" ... but would his small hands at this point dictate something more on the Gibson scale?

I know my SG sure does have some close togeather frets ... especially up top ways.

???
    U All Rock.

ps -- i just found the name of what appears to be a 1st rate guitar teacher in my area. I'm gonna give him a dial tonight. This year i've really gotten back in to my playing hard, but i know i'm WAY behind, theory-wise.
    I think i need me a teacher.