Pearl Jam & Phaser Pedals -- Or Not?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey ...

I just have a question for anyone who may be more obsessed than me.

Personaly, I could groove with a phaser pedal all day long. Particularly a beautiful "flying fingers" Ibanez PT-909 ...

However,
I can't recall one freaking PJ song where I can hear a phaser is used ... and then, quite to the contrary, according to the live schematics BOTH Stone AND Mike use them.

Mike with his (VH inspired, i'm sure) MXR Phase 90 & 100 ... (and also a univibe? reissue ofcourse) and stone with just a univibe ... (maybe i mean Rotovibe, fuck if i can recall) ...

but once again ... i don't really hear any phase in ANY songs.
What gives?

I'm thinking they use very low levels of this effect? Particularly on earlier songs? Ie stuff from Ten and hard stuff from Vs?

Does anyone know for sure what they phase out on?
How about later studio stuff?

Thanks guys.
nap time
-nik-
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• um Given to fly most surely has one. there are probably others but that was the one that poped into my head right away. probably because i covered it a while back.

I used a Boss phaser which seemed to nail it fairly well. But, my phase 90 achieves the same basic goal.
  • wow.
    i never even would have thought of saying GTF had phase in it.
    It really doesn't sound that way.
    Let me go back and listen to the album version.
    That always just sounded like straight away clean guitar to me.
    Are you talking about the last set of A to E pull off then F# notes at the end of the song? I guess i could hear it in there.
    Hrrm.

Any one know of other songs that have phase in them?

would just be curious to know.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    wow.
    i never even would have thought of saying GTF had phase in it.
    It really doesn't sound that way.
    Let me go back and listen to the album version.
    That always just sounded like straight away clean guitar to me.
    Are you talking about the last set of A to E pull off then F# notes at the end of the song? I guess i could hear it in there.
    Hrrm.

Any one know of other songs that have phase in them?

would just be curious to know.

its def a phaser on given to fly

other than that they eally havent sued it in sudio, maybe a bit of phase on mcceadsy all o none solo, or perhaps some post production phase was aed to some backing guitars in the studio....but as for in you face phasse, given o fly is it.

live, they use i im sue whenever they feel like i. stone uses his getup at the end of daughter, all by feel.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Nothing As it Seems has phase used at times.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    present tense.
    i'm still here.

etc.
    etc.
  • Way to go guys.
    Thanks.

LIstened to the Yield - GTF -- ya'll is rightz
    definately phase.
    THough it would not have registered listening to it even.
    Its so subtle and the track is so warm the warble gets lost to my ear as simple "post production magic" ...

as for the Present Tense and I'm STill HEre
    YEY!

I forgot about the 'ole PT
    and though i do liisten to I'm STill Here 1nce a month or so for that bllue blue feel, i would forget that it had phase too.

Good to know im' not the only one who feels their studio stuff lacking in this great effect :)

Although you know i would never criticize, as roach would say ... THE MIGHTY PEARL JAM (dc 101 reference)
    fuck clear channel though.
  • ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    presentense
  • If you are having a hard time picking up the phaser, listen to the bootlegs, especially 2000, i hear it all over their.

I also have an Ibanez pt-9 Its really cool, but mine never shuts off all the way(you can always hear it in the background) so i rarely use it in my chain, except for recording. I should really get it worked on. But did you know their are some trim pots inside it that you can monkey with to change the sound of the pedal. jsut try and remember where it was origionally.

I also use an old small stone, that is my favorite phaser, nothing else compares!!!!!

On the weird side I have an old morley phaser/volume pedal. It was made for them by telray in the late 60's or early 70's. It has an expression pedal on it that allows you to control either the speed of the sweep while you play in one mode. And in the other mode you can actually use the expression pedal to manually move the sweep of the phase. Its so awesome.
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.