100 Tube Watts Sounds Wimpy. Something wrong?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I tried something for the first time the other night,

i bought a vintage (1982?) [Robert] Eggnater "Dualtone" 100W Head off ebay a while back ... it has a built in attenuator for 10 \ 20 \50 \ or 100 watts.

I NEVER set it to 100 ... don't know what the hell i'd do there.

But the other day, no one was around,
and i wanted to hear what this baby could do on the B(ritish) [cough, Marshall Plexi] channel ... being that it's ment to sound ... well ... like a plexi ... and distort out at high volumes ...

i thought, what the fuck ... let's give 'er a go ...

so i turned her to standby, switched the atten. knob to 100w ... turner 'er back on ... and CRANKED it ... to like 8 volume ...

well... lemme just say ... i was NOT BLOWN AWAY!

I mean, it WAS loud ... loud-ish ... i know it's not gonna be PJ Live loud ... but

ISN'T 100 Tube Watts supposed to be REALLY FRIGGIN LOUD?

like ... if you're in a basement standing next to the cabinet (which, btw, is only 2 12's not 4) ... it should be UNCOMFORTABLY loud?

or was i just expecting too much from this rig?

hmm.
maybe it needs new power tubes?
or preamps?

i dunno.
it's definately old.
and the tubes are all originals.

but could that lead to reduced perceived volume?

just wondering.
-nik-
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's actually relative. Yeah it's loud, and it's probably very loud, but add another 4x12 cabinet or even 3 or 4. Now it's extremely loud because you're actually more efficiently using the power output and you have 8 or 12 or 16 speakers moving air instead of just 4.

It's almost definately time to look at replacing the power tubes, though I doubt that's the issue.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • yeah......100 tube watts should blow you away when turned up to 8.....my old ampeg (100+ watts thru 2x12) is way too loud at something like 4 or 5, let alone 8. Might want to invest in some new tubes......might not be the culprit, but 23 years is way beyond the normal (good sounding) lifespan for tubes.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I wonder if some of the power tubes are missing... which is likely with overpowered tube amps. Either somebody removed tubes, or you just need to re-tube. That's my amateur opinion.

What kinda power tubes does it use? And how many?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.