G&L Custom Shop Legacy EC+ by Leo Fender ** 3bolt **

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7326176542&rd=1

What's youse guyses opinions on this?

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

I have an old '78 Leo Musicman Sabre I ... but it's got hell of a cracked finish up and down the fret board (i've never seen a finished fretboard, but it has one ... but it's checked to hell) ... and i'm not so sure i'm much the fan of active electronics after trying it out.

I also have that SG Pro i was blabbin' 'bout earlier ... but if this was really all that, i would be willing to consider selilng both.

i guess i gotta know soon, since it's BIN ...

hey, don't steal my axe :(

thanks guys.
:)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can't decide between that 3 single coil model made in Leo's time,
    or this new one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7324557824&rd=1

with 2 singles, and a tappable Seymore HB.

Hmm ...
    it also has this killer looking "flamed" maple neck ... atleast, it looks flammed.
    mmm.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    They're both nice!

The older one is probably a little better built, and the price is pretty good, but, I have a 93 Legacy (With an autograph by Leo :),,, it had the microtilt. I actually didn't like it that much. It made it easy to adjust the neck, but it was touchy and I got better tone out of it when I took it out and set the neck in the pocket and put a 4 screw plate on it.
    I also put a Duncan lil 59 in the bridge, anyway,,,,,soooooo,,,,,,

I guess I like the second one better myself. It costs more, I know,, but better chance of not having to do a fret dressing, and you have the humbucker. I can't tell you if it's any better built than a Fender deluxe at the same price, though. Probably similar. The G&L's tend to have better fret finishes than Fender when they're new, but I have a new Fender Deluxe and it's flawless!

Good luck,,, and either of them should be nice guitars!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

just put my bid down on it.
    wow. i'm so impulsive.
    i really like it though.

wanted to get the 3bolt, but after what you said, and after staring at 'em both, and thinkin' about the options ... i would really like to have a tapable HB ... and the color scheme on that one blows me away.

Oh well, i guess you don't always need vintage stuff.

hopefully i get it.
    suhweet.

5 hours to find out :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    To me, the big difference between them is the maple neck vs. the rosewood neck. I'm a big fan of rosewood, so I'd probably go for the older one, although I would use a humbucker in the bridge more than a single coil... but you could do like Bob and put a lil' HB in...

So yeah, good luck. They're both really nice guitars, sounds like your heart is leading you to the right one. Now watch out for snipers!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.