I need a good cab -- to go with that head i was gabbing about.

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
yeah ... i know you all remember.
so i've got the wire details from rob, and i'm gonna pay him sometime in the next week ... it'll prolly take a lil' less than 2 months to get my head ... he's on a 4 week backorder right now ...

i'm still arguing over cloth and tolex covers ... but he says anything available ( http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech11.html#fabric2 ) is same price\no charge ...

... thinking about doing something in like a cream or one of the lighter browns, with some sort of "matching" grill ... something in the brown range ... but then also, i'm not sure if it's even worth it ... cause this lil' amp is gonna get yanked around a lot, so black may be the most enduring option ... oh fuck ... i dunno ...

HERE IS THE POINT:
i need a good cabinet to match ... and it should prolly be a 1x12 ... and i want it to come LOADED ... i don't wanna have to dick around with installation ... also, i don't wanna pay $600 for a 1x12, so nothing too crazy ...

i LOVE my 212 earcandy cab that i scored off ebay, but they've kinda changed their look ... and the one i stole was super extra custom matched maple ... but i'd go back again for one of there 112s ... though i'm just not sure about their colors these days, and how to match those up with the options for my head colors ... seems the only "matching" colors are ORANGE ... hmm ... and the only ALNICO speakers earcandy cary are emminence red coats ? ? ?

so i've got earcandy,
and then theairtightgarage sells a realy cheap $150 1x12 UNloaded ... but it's huge ... and not loaded ...

then i tried electricamps.com ... but those things are EXPENSIVE ...

anyone got ideas?
i'm kind've short on 'em.

should i just buy a marshall microstack off of ebay and change the speakers?

lol.

:(
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

oh shit. they don't seem to have a 1x12 anymore.
  • exhausted wrote:

oh shit. they don't seem to have a 1x12 anymore.

yeah. i fucking noticed that myself,
    that was actually who rob suggested.

but that sucks.

:(
  • I'm sure you can find an Avatar 1x12 on ebay no problem.

also, i know you don't want unloaded but if you change your mind Avatar's site has a few 1x12 cabs in their Scratch, Dent, and Overstock section.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • also, i know you don't want unloaded but if you change your mind Avatar's site has a few 1x12 cabs in their Scratch, Dent, and Overstock section.

yeah i saw that.
    i'm betting those are actualy old overstocks, and not blems ... since they discontinued their 112s, it seems ...

anyhow, i got on that and just sent an email.
    i figure since they have 'em (at least one), they should be able to load it for me as well ... so i asked.

we'll see.
    hopefuly they have a good alnico they could throw in there ... i didn't check what speakers they stock, but maybe i should.

:D
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah they have a lot of good alnico's to throw in there.

WHat speakers are you going with do you know?

oh, and just incase you don't go with avatar, http://www.tedweber.com Ted Weber now builds cabinets too, and we all know he has some killer alnicos.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah they have a lot of good alnico's to throw in there.

WHat speakers are you going with do you know?

oh, and just incase you don't go with avatar, http://www.tedweber.com Ted Weber now builds cabinets too, and we all know he has some killer alnicos.

not to sound tired, but the celestion alnico blue seems to be the best match ... i like the emminences in my candy cab ... but i'm not sure i'd go with their alnicos ... and the 15w blue seems to be a better match than any of the webers for the low ass wattage of the fabfox amp head ... (remember its 2\5w switchable) ... so i don't really want to do a 30 or 35 watt cone ...

although, i am half playing with the idea of a 15" or maybe even being stupid with 2x8"s wired in stereo ... you'd think a cabinet would be the easy part ...

i can't decide between all out sonic mayhem (the 15), balanced sweetness (the alnico 12") and really crisp highs (2x8") ... i think maybe the 2x8 is a bit impractical ... and i'm not really sure i fancy that much bass (15) ... so i guess i should stick with the 12 ... wow ... i kinda walked myself through that ...

i'd take input either way ... aw jeez.
    here we go again.

PS -- also ... Rob's gonna wire the head with a 4\8 ohm switch & 2 outs so i can toggle (ok, plug and unplug, i know, load load load) between my 2x12 candy cab with the 35 & 75 emms and then also 8ohm it into a single 1x12 ...

just to clarify on his idea (and i'm sure he's no dummy) ... my candy cab STEREO wired 2x12 8OHM cab will be correctly matched against his head set to 4 ohms? i know two mono cabs wired to 8ohms stack to a 4ohm load ... but is it the same with a single 2x12 cab wired in stereo?

is that a yes? suhweet!
  • hey,
    on the bright side ... i think the weber page just sold me on a color combo for the head (and the cab, i reckon) ... https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/wccabssamples.htm

i really like the black grill on cream ... (the one shown is Levant cream, but i think i'd go with the "smooth cream" two farther down) ... i just like the tweed\cream look ... but i think cream\oxblood cab\grill combo is a little overdone ... maybe too dated .... but cream\black looks swell.

imVERYho.

PS -- check my edit question up a post?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    An alnico blue is going to cost you about 300 bucks by itself :(

Swanson makes a nice cab, and you can get a 1x12 for under 600 depending on the speaker you choose

http://www.swansoncabinets.com/

Otherwise, I'd go with a Bogner 1x12. They can be had for like 400 bucks new...maybe 300 used.
  • enharmonic wrote:

i hear you man.
    but you know, i'm kinda over the whole "try to keep it in 'my price range' " thing ...

in the past year or two i finally succame to the philosophy that i should just suck it up and buy what i want, what would be best for the situation, and what will ultimately be the most enduring solution ...

i guess i'm just tired of equipment that is serviceable but leaves me wondering what i'm missing out on, and only dreaming about sonic possibilities instead of living them out.

so i plunk down some $ and chalk up a rack of debt ... but at least i have what i wanted, and i don't have to replace it 2 years from now.

ya know?

just the spin i put on things, i guess.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i hear you man.
    but you know, i'm kinda over the whole "try to keep it in 'my price range' " thing ...

in the past year or two i finally succame to the philosophy that i should just suck it up and buy what i want, what would be best for the situation, and what will ultimately be the most enduring solution ...

i guess i'm just tired of equipment that is serviceable but leaves me wondering what i'm missing out on, and only dreaming about sonic possibilities instead of living them out.

so i plunk down some $ and chalk up a rack of debt ... but at least i have what i wanted, and i don't have to replace it 2 years from now.

ya know?

just the spin i put on things, i guess.

good plan, the weber blue pup and silver bell are ones to check out too.

I think you should take your time on this, and try and listen to as much material as you can from the various alnicos you are going about it the right way, I just want to make sure you get the best speaker for you at the right price.

The swanson cabs look great, boy I wish an Electric/Matamp/Orange could be had cheaper.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonic wrote:

FYI -- but it comes with a FREE CABINET. ;)

Here is the response I got back from Avatar yesterday, which I almost forgot about:

HI NIck..we are in transitions with 112s....we only have a couple of blond ones left, then we will either make more of the same in the future when the cab maker is well ...he is ill now....or we will switch to a different 112...but we will have something in the future....the best set up is a 112 with an alnicio blue for 389 plus 24 shipping...let me know if you need anything,....

WOO HOO!
    add that to my wish list.