REM Tabs -- Anyone Have Favorites?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So.
I don't know WHY i never tried to learn any before.

REM was my first love before PJ existed, but even though i started playing guitar over 10 years ago now, i never bothered to try and learn REM songs ... and yet they are so well crafted and catchy little riffs.

I guess i learned Strange Currencies when Monster came out, but other than that, nothing.

So i just looked two up this morning, and now i'm ready to try some more.

Got
Pretty Persuasion
and
So. Central Rain
down,

anyone have REM favorites they think are fun to play?

Think i'm gonna try
some more older stuff now.
Maybe Gardening At Night, or 7 Chinese Brothers.

If you know of a GivenToWail-esque REM Tab site, let me know!

:D:D:D
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• On the guitar I really love to play "Walk Unafraid" and "Leaving New York". I don't know why. There is nothing tricky about them, but I always start playing them for some reason.

On the piano "Nighswimming" and "At My Most Beautiful" take the cake.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Yea, I'm a big R.E.M. fan and I've learned several of their songs. I printed a bunch off from Olga (is that still in operation?) back in the day, usually from chords I just go to azchords.com and click under "R". My favorites to play:

Country Feedback - really easy to play on acoustic, it's like 6 chords, you just need to know the order.

Man on the Moon - another fairly easy one, you just need to know the order the chords go in.

Radio Free Europe

Gardening At Night - For this one, you tune the high E down to a D. After that, it's just getting the picking pattern down for the intro and the strumming.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    On the piano "Nighswimming" and "At My Most Beautiful" take the cake.

Do you know where I could get the music for Nightswimming? I'd love to be able to play that on piano.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1 wrote:
    Do you know where I could get the music for Nightswimming? I'd love to be able to play that on piano.

Yeah.
    They have official REM Tab books.
    The tab book for Automatic is pretty piano heavy. I bought it back in the day.

I guess i lied when i said i hadn't learned any REM.
    I learned a very few tabs (like Driver 8) ...

i did try to learn Nightswimming on the piano once.
    I don't think its hard, but i SUCK at piano, so i never figured it out. (which just means i suck, lol)

anyhow.
    go buy the book.
    ;)

here is the riff, so it says: http://vigna.dsi.unimi.it/music/nightswimming.png
    there is a nightswimming pdf if you search for it with "torrent" ... but its like 3 seeders and 300 leachers!
  • BibbsBibbs Posts: 229
    everybody should learn to play Country Feedback. Thats a great song to play both on acoustic and on electric
    ••• Immortality •••
    www.myspace.com/kosmicjelli
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    'departure' and 'bang and blame' are both very cool to play.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If you know of a GivenToWail-esque REM Tab site, let me know!

:D:D:D
    hehe yeah GivenToWail is a hard act to follow for sure.
    Have you tried here http://zenandjuice.com/music/rem/
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    hehe yeah GivenToWail is a hard act to follow for sure.
    Have you tried here http://zenandjuice.com/music/rem/

awesome
    thanks PJgurl!

And thanks for the kind words in AMT, too!
    :D
  • If you wanna rock out, it's all about "What's the Frequency, Kenneth" for me. I have a multi-effects pedal that I can set to that tremelo effect and it's so much fun to play.

And easy to boot!

And I also agree with "Country Feedback" and will throw out "The One I Love" and "Talk about the Passion" as being fairly easy and lots of fun.
  • oh man if only i had a dollar for everytime i played everybody hurts during the first year i learnt guitar