Recommend a gift for a Bass Player ? ? ?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My nephew is 13yrs old and just got a bass for christmas.

He is comming down this weekend for a delayed family gathering, and I wanted to get him a bass related gift.

I was thinking maybe something simple like strings, or possibly a pedal of some sort.

The only problem is, not playing bass myself, and not being too familiar with bass related gear, I'm really not sure what would be a good gift of great utility to someone just starting out on that instrument?

Any ideas would be great!
THANKS!
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    How much do you want to spend?

Strings are a fantastic gift. maybe a bass method DVD in a style he likes. Bass Wah or an envelop filter are good fun effects for bassists.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The day I got my Crybaby Bass was a very happy day for me, although it aint cheap.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • The day I got my Crybaby Bass was a very happy day for me, although it aint cheap.
    Pac -- I'd say this would probably be the upper limit.

What are we talking there, must be like $130 or so?

That maybe even a little more than i was "looking" to spend, but he is a real swell kid, and the fact that he decided to pick up the bass makes me want to splurge on him a little.

This is the kid I took to Philly with me in '05.
    I won't say he is "punk", but he definately has broader musical tastes than most of his rap\pop loving peers.

I hope he does well with the bass, though I told his father I would really recommend he try guitar instead, as he is rather small for his age and has tiny hands (respective to a bass) ... i see that as a potential limitation to his progress on that instrument. but who am i to say?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nah not 130, you can get a crybaby bass wah for around 99 bucks I think.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/navigation?N=100001+304434

you could go with the crybaby or any of the cool snarling dogs ones or the morley.

That bassballs envelope follower from EH at 80 bucks looks damn cool too, but wah's are more expressive.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    get him a primus ddvd

les claypool is the best basist ever

or just him some pics!!!
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    get him a primus ddvd

les claypool is the best basist ever

or just him some pics!!!
    haha.
    funny.
    man, i've thought about it.
    and god knows i have a friend with every Claypool related item history has given us ...

... I'm just not sure he would take to the Les that well.
    He isn't that wide with his musical tastes yet.

I'm thinking he wants to play simple little riffs a'la The Pixies or some such ... i know he likes Greenday a good bit. :rolleyes: hey. it's a start.

I will get him a copy of Guitar Pro so he can install it, mute the bass track and follow along ... that should help him out a lot.

thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    if you've got more, that's great too.
    :D

happy belated new years to all you geek ass musicians.
    :D:D:D
  • Cool nephew! Congratulations on being a cool uncle!
    I'm an uncle, and I've been the one to give all my nieces and nephews guitars. I would give them a guitar that I used on tour after I changed out to different ones.

If he's just starting out on the bass, I think the greatest gift you could give him for now would be your time. Spend some time jamming with him and giving him some tips about keeping time, where the notes are, etc, and being an uncle to him. He needs that more than effects now.
    If anything, I would give him a metronome to play to, because if there's one thing a bass player needs, it's to be able to play in time!
    Also, like Paco said, a DVD with some lessons on it would be good.

Being small may be a little limiting to some degree, but you use what you got! Small hands have made some great music on bass. "Thelouderthebetter" used to be on this board and is an old friend of mine.
    She is 5 feet tall and less than a hundred pounds and you should see her jam out on bass. She rocked out in some great punk bands, blew up amps, and even played stand up double bass in one band! I swear that thing is a few feet taller than her!
    You would be amazed how far fingers can stretch.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    get a drum machine.