600Ohm Headphones -- What will push them?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok ...

... so again, here is where i fall short of understanding technology and it's implications ...

... I'm looking in to this pair of headphones ... AKG K 240 DF Studio Headphones ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/241024/ )

... based on the fact that the little portable studio I'm putting togeather is short on cash for a true set of nearfield monitors ... being that i'd rather not buy gear (speakers) simply to replace them when i get cash for the "real thing" ... i'd prefer to invest in something that will maintain it's utility for a while ...

... thus a good pair of cans seems like a nice stopgap ...

... the only problem is that these suckers have 600Ohm impedence ... (possibly 600 X 2 for whatever that means, based on a review comment i saw) ...

... several reviewers mention needing a dedicated amp to drive these phones as most boards wont push them properly ... i'm getting the Tascam 1082 which claims to have a volume controlable amplified headphone out ... but i'm hesitant to believe this will push these hardcore-headphones properly.

WHAT WILL DRIVE THEM?
I'm having trouble interpreting specs, and see only a few "cheap" headphone amps anyhow ...

i see this: PreSonus HP4 Discrete 4-Channel Headphone Amp ...
which has it's specs listed as "32 Ohm Impedance" what does the 32 Ohm Impedance of the amplifier have to do with the 600Ohm impedance of the headphones?

I'm so confused.

HELP HELP!

edit--
here is another one:
Behringer HA4700 Powerplay Pro Headphone Amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240107/

says it "can now drive loads down to 8ohms" ... but what the fuck does that even mean in regards to pushing 600ohm cans?
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    PM Mig, he will know, the presonus sounds great to me lowering the Ohms lowers the resistance, there for 32 ohms is 4 times the resistance of an 8 ohm load. If it can handle a load down to 8 ohms 600 Ohms will be no problem at all, in fact it could power quite a few sets of those AKG's easily.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.