Quick: Look at this LP. Any "warning signs" ?

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7350599568

CHECK THIS ONE OUT ! ! ? ? ! !

mmm.
looks like butter.
me want. me want.
;)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not gonna be able to help you out anyway, but in case someone comes along who can: the link's not working.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    depends on what you want to buy it for. Duncan makes lots of pickups in black, not just hot ones.

The tuners and pups have been replaced, naturally that's what usually goes on LP's but you want to make sure either the guy got it professionally done or he knows what he's doing. It looks ok.

The refin is the only thing that scares me on a 1200 dollar 71. Usually they need a setup. This is no collector, but it's probably a good player. The locking tuners help out a lot.

it looks gorgeous but why refinish a LP custom?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    looks nice.

not a custom though.
  • #1 Warning sign:

It's listed as a Les Paul Custom and it clearly is not. The seller should know what he has, especially considering it is an old, expensive guitar.

I say nay to this auction.
  • #1 Warning sign:

It's listed as a Les Paul Custom and it clearly is not. The seller should know what he has, especially considering it is an old, expensive guitar.

I say nay to this auction.
    u beat me to it DirtyFrank like you say it aint a Custom
    Cornell pwns u
  • hmm.
    i hate it when sellers shoot themselves in the foot with bad listing text.

i mean,
    i bet this guy would have 3 or 4 bids by now had he not said that.
    & thanks for pointing out that discrepancy.

u know, i wasn't even thinking about the description much,
    just looking at the pictures of a LP with a good looking new finish, good tuners, good pups, and a decent price.

but then you have to go and kick me in the head with your observations that the mop inlays are all wrong, the headstock ain't custom and there is no binding on the body.

:(

none of which would concern me if the seller hadn't said, twice no less, that it is a custom.

so i wonder what gives?

& i guess i won't bid.
    doh.

ohwell.
  • hmm.
    i hate it when sellers shoot themselves in the foot with bad listing text.

i mean,
    i bet this guy would have 3 or 4 bids by now had he not said that.
    & thanks for pointing out that discrepancy.

u know, i wasn't even thinking about the description much,
    just looking at the pictures of a LP with a good looking new finish, good tuners, good pups, and a decent price.

but then you have to go and kick me in the head with your observations that the mop inlays are all wrong, the headstock ain't custom and there is no binding on the body.

none of which would concern me if the seller hadn't said, twice no less, that it is a custom.

so i wonder what gives?

& i guess i won't bid.
    doh.

ohwell.

There will be more, don't worry.

:)
  • There will be more, don't worry.

but i heard there was gonna be an LP shortage in '06?

;)
  • but i heard there was gonna be an LP shortage in '06?

;)

Yeah, something about refining Les Pauls into Hummer fuel. :)
  • errr.
    never mind.
    i thought the body had the custom binding, but it's just the side of the guitar showing from the front.

this guy still refuses to answer my questions via email though.
    what a joker.

how can you not know, or care to respond to someone who may be interested in buying your guitar. especially if you have 0 bids.

fool.
  • I feel like a whore for posting this but Musicians Friend has Gibson LP Deluxe's $300 off.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517125/
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I feel like a whore for posting this but Musicians Friend has Gibson LP Deluxe's $300 off.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517125/

Good ol' Musicians Fiend. Gobbling up all the competition in sight and censoring a once awesome music forum. :)
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7350599568

can i buy this one?

don't steal my auction, bitches.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7350599568

can i buy this one?

don't steal my auction, bitches.

while that does look to be a LP artist I'd say nay. I've never had good luck with that era neither Fender nor Gibson. It's probably not awful, but just looking at it it dosen't look like the best guitar in the world. It's your decision, but I think you can do better. It is beautiful, I don't think a lot of that bridge in the pic, if it has been setup and cleaned as the man says here, it's probably solid, I just don't know if I'd want to put 1800 into a 79. I think you can do better personally.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    while that does look to be a LP artist I'd say nay. I've never had good luck with that era neither Fender nor Gibson. It's probably not awful, but just looking at it it dosen't look like the best guitar in the world. It's your decision, but I think you can do better. It is beautiful, I don't think a lot of that bridge in the pic, if it has been setup and cleaned as the man says here, it's probably solid, I just don't know if I'd want to put 1800 into a 79. I think you can do better personally.

goddamnit!
    i just busted out a helluva long reply to you, and the board goes to the fucking technical difficulty screen, thus erasing my post.
    fuck.

well, in brief:
    i respect your opinion, and understand this isn't the be-all-end-all LP, but understand i'm looking to spend LESS THAN 2K ... and thus i find my options limited.

I don't like goldhardware that much either, but i do LOVE tune-o-matic or floyd type bridges with fine tune knobs. it makes them so much more playable, i think.

the tuners on the head are great as well.

the fretboard is BRAND NEW, ebony, and looks slick as all get out.

yea there are some scratches near the jack, but i'm not so concerned about cosmetic perfection. this guitar looks to have some "mojo" from it's top, the speed knobs, the tune-o-matic and the switches. and it's in my prefered color range, green to amber brown.

i understand your concern about the era (late 70's) but could you give me something specific regarding the caveats of owning such a guitar?

if the fretboard has been dressed and the electronics cleared as "ok" by a reputable tech ... what specificaly are the liabilities of such a "vintage" instrument?

do you think the pots or the wiring or the pups themseleves will crap out soon? is this common for a 20yr old guitar? i was under the impression they should hold up for quite some time.

can you link up one or two LPs that do look "good" to you for less than 2K?

i'm just not sure i follow how this isn't better than most of your run-of-the-mill 1996 LP Standard Cherry Bursts straight of the line with player wear, dings, and a regular crappy setup.

this thing has JUST been setup, refretted, and is ready to wail.

? ? ?
    any ideas about what this is aimed for in terms of tonal qualities? It's an 'artist" but i'm not familiar with that per se, and have no understanding of why there are only 3 speed knobs and not 4, or what the toggles do? phase? pickup select? ? ? ?

help a brother out.

Thanks all!
  • Grr.
    I just read this:
    (it has active electronics. :( )
    maybe not for me. "this is not a grinding, dirty rock roll paul." .... boo!
    Sound: 10
    Alright this is where you either love or hate this thing. This does not sound like a Les Paul, but can come kinda close at times. I play blues, Jimi, jazz, rock, country (from time to time). I have four Pauls (Custom with a rosewood top and natural back very cool and all original, a Spotlight Special, a Jimmy Page, and this one, as well as two strats-an elite and a deluxe plus). This is not a grinding, dirty, rock roll Paul. It is capable of those sounds with the use of a processor. It is bright beyond your wildest earplugs at its most extreme settings, beyond glassy to metallic. The other direction it is bassy, but remarkabll full and vibrant, with a really cool archtop responsiveness. It has extraordinary sustain, which can be made obscene by use of the expansion switch, but which gives it an unpleasing microphonic sound. The guitar stays in tune like no other I have, and is true all the way up the neck. The guitar is the most versatile Paul, but is not what I would call a rock guitar. It is a great toy, because unlike other guitars, the active circuitry and tone conrols are seemingly like an EQ, they do not merely roll off treble, but actually boost and cut treble and bass. This means you can get really really grating bright (like chewing aluminum foil) sound pseudo Tele, almost like a single coil but a little fatter, with the use of the bright switch, as well as a really throaty archtop like sound from the neck pickup with tweeking of the controls. The bass response is really bassy, but not muddy. It has an extraordinary clean sound used through my Fender Deville 2-12 without effects. It is a guitar, which when plugged in "straight" and not altered, really has a beautiful clear crisp sound which picks up all the subtleties of the player's technique. Its like the Gibson version of a Strat elite (see that description in the index, another sleeper.) It doesnt sound like a regular humbucker Les Paul, but can really sustain, and when run through a processor is 80% the sound of a stock Paul. I would not own this guitar as my only guitar, but I am very glad to have it for jazz, blues, and music where I am trying to be delicate and expressive with my playing. It can be bright, microphonic, almost percussive and has a huge swing between bass and treble especially when combined with the pick-up(s) selected. The electronics are the same as the Gibson RD. The electronics can be very harsh, microphonic, too bright, and ping pong like in the compression mode, unless the thing is properly adjusted, not likely for live playing. However, flipping the expansion switch, which appears to be a 15 DB boost, actually is an easy way to pop out lead breaks if you have only your amp and nothing else. Its a cool ax, but not one to buy for the Les Paul sound. Its almost like if David Gilmour mutated a Paul with EMGS.
    If he says all that and you are mainly looking for the LP sound, why not just keep shopping, let the money sit for a while. I have seen a few early 70's LP Customs likely in your price range. I have an 87 LP studio (not close to what you are looking for obviously) but I bought it for around 500 bucks. I think you can probably find a 70's or 80's custom just like you want for around $1500 you just have to find the right seller. Do you like LP standards as well? or maybe a Premium Plus? I know you can find Early 80's LP deluxes in Cherry for less than 1200, you could easliy convert to P-90's or back to mini hums or TV Jones if that's your thing. I just think you can do better for the money, but if you want it, go for it. No one can tell you what's right for you better than you.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    If he says all that and you are mainly looking for the LP sound, why not just keep shopping, let the money sit for a while. I have seen a few early 70's LP Customs likely in your price range. I have an 87 LP studio (not close to what you are looking for obviously) but I bought it for around 500 bucks. I think you can probably find a 70's or 80's custom just like you want for around $1500 you just have to find the right seller. Do you like LP standards as well? or maybe a Premium Plus? I know you can find Early 80's LP deluxes in Cherry for less than 1200, you could easliy convert to P-90's or back to mini hums or TV Jones if that's your thing. I just think you can do better for the money, but if you want it, go for it. No one can tell you what's right for you better than you.

lol.
    i hear you pac.
    that wasn't his quote. that was from a harmony central review page on the "artist" model. i hate active electronics. not my thing. to live, to wired, to buzzy, to harsh.

honestly between standards, customs, and premium plus i don't have much real preference. what i do care about is hardware and setup, though. i don't like when they have the cheapo old school kluson like plastic tuners ... and i don't like much gold. fine tuners are a plus, speed knobs are a plus ... i like the mop inlays on customs better, but it's all just eye candy anyway.

i just want the sustain and the tone in gobs that a LP has.
    if i find that in a custom or a standard, it's no matter to me.

i guess i'll know when i find "her".

thanks again, pac.
  • If I was to smile and I held out my hand

cool my friends mom has a 1970 custom I get to wank on from time to time on her old vibrochamp, "Got Chiropractor?"

ask him how much she weighs, definately a fat bottomed girl.

the top looks funny, not bookmatched, I wonder why on a burst finish. No reason not to buy it though, it's a cool guitar, just heavy as a house.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    cool my friends mom has a 1970 custom I get to wank on from time to time on her old vibrochamp, "Got Chiropractor?"

ask him how much she weighs, definately a fat bottomed girl.

the top looks funny, not bookmatched, I wonder why on a burst finish. No reason not to buy it though, it's a cool guitar, just heavy as a house.

hey pac,
    your comment about the weight leaves me wondering.
    i've understood that LPs weighed around 11 pounds, and the newer AAAA wood "supreme" ones have been chambered a bit to weigh in at 9.5 ...

but i've seen auctions on ebay for true LP Customs that have a picture of the guitar on a scale, in at 9.5 pounds.

Are you saying they changed the weight of the entire Standard & Custom lines in the mid '70s?

sorry, i'm just not that familiar with the history of the LP.

as to the finish, i'm not sure ... it looks similar to the '80s "prehistoric" "vintage" line ... but not sure why it would be on a 76 Tobacco Burst ... i think it looks wicked cool though.

just gonna ask him if he has any ideas on what the pup models are, and if he can send some pics of the "checking" ...

hey pac,
    your comment about the weight leaves me wondering.
    i've understood that LPs weighed around 11 pounds, and the newer AAAA wood "supreme" ones have been chambered a bit to weigh in at 9.5 ...

but i've seen auctions on ebay for true LP Customs that have a picture of the guitar on a scale, in at 9.5 pounds.

Are you saying they changed the weight of the entire Standard & Custom lines in the mid '70s?

sorry, i'm just not that familiar with the history of the LP.

as to the finish, i'm not sure ... it looks similar to the '80s "prehistoric" "vintage" line ... but not sure why it would be on a 76 Tobacco Burst ... i think it looks wicked cool though.

just gonna ask him if he has any ideas on what the pup models are, and if he can send some pics of the "checking" ...

The weight usually depends on the wood. There are Murphy's out there that weigh in at 7lbs. Usually, for what ever reason, that I can't really think of right now, LP customs are the heaviest les pauls. It's just a big solid chunk of Mahogany with a carved maple top, nothing to really concern yourself with other than your back anyway. It's that fat slab combined with those HB's that yeilds that fat rock tone. Les Paul Customs just seem to have more of everything which probably lends them to be the heaviest, shouldn't be a deal breaker though. The Ebony FB good tuners and badass sexy looks make up for the back breaker, a comfy strap and a stool later, you won't care.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The weight usually depends on the wood. There are Murphy's out there that weigh in at 7lbs. Usually, for what ever reason, that I can't really think of right now, LP customs are the heaviest les pauls. It's just a big solid chunk of Mahogany with a carved maple top, nothing to really concern yourself with other than your back anyway. It's that fat slab combined with those HB's that yeilds that fat rock tone. Les Paul Customs just seem to have more of everything which probably lends them to be the heaviest, shouldn't be a deal breaker though. The Ebony FB good tuners and badass sexy looks make up for the back breaker, a comfy strap and a stool later, you won't care.
    i hear u man.
    i actually prefer a bitch of a heavy guitar.
    something about the weight keeps it where it should be, and not bumping up and down my trousers. nothing like startin to rock only to find your axe hittin you in the chin when you make a move.

uh,er. that is to say, not that i move so much, but i could damnit.
    ;)
    i hear u man.
    i actually prefer a bitch of a heavy guitar.
    something about the weight keeps it where it should be, and not bumping up and down my trousers. nothing like startin to rock only to find your axe hittin you in the chin when you make a move.

uh,er. that is to say, not that i move so much, but i could damnit.
    ;)

Imagine how strong you'll be after you install straplocks and sling that beast around.
  • FROM THE SELLER:
    I will include my extra photos of the 1976 Les Paul Custom. In this format you will be able to zoom in for details.
    Unfortunately the upgraded pickups are SD Distortion models. I also have the original Gold Humbuckers and will change those back, the choice of the buyer. I will include one set, and both sets are in working order of course.
    As for the finish there is plenty of checking on the finish and binding, the guitar has no repairs or damage. There is some pitting on the gold hardware from aging, more on the tuners. Natural aging, no abuse. The frets are wide and flat and it frets well with no weak spots and very low action. Set up with 9's. The sound and action are very impressive on this guitar. It is not dented and scratched all over, but does have the wear I mentioned.
    what you think about THIS reply?
    not so familiar with the duncan distortion types.
    you think they will be "too much" for me?
    are they extreeeeeeeeeeemly messy or could i get some clean out of 'em?
    on the auction he says they get good clean, but ? ? ?

also, you think i should be concerned about this "lots of checking"
    he sent me 4 or 5 real large pics and i can not discern any of it.

i have a music man that i bought off ebay, and i can totally see checking up and down it (and could on ebay as well) but i can't on here, so i'm not sure it worries me.

the buckle rash and scratches on back are very minimal.
    ok, maybe moderate, but nothing horrible at all.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    get the original pickups.

checking isn't a problem. my 96 LP is checking. that's nitro for you.
    checking is fine.

Original Pups. Set it up with 10's at least It is a poverty to set up a Les Paul with 9's.

SD's eh? and 9's? Someone played in a hair band in the 80's
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    checking is fine.

Original Pups. Set it up with 10's at least It is a poverty to set up a Les Paul with 9's.

SD's eh? and 9's? Someone played in a hair band in the 80's

yeah.
    i have NEVER used 9s.
    wouldn't even know what to do with 'em.
    hell your looking (ok maybe u ain't lookin) at the guy who fought with the guitar store to get 'em to put 11s on my SG. and they wouldn't. doh.

so, i take it what your sayin' 'bout the pups is that they are a bit much for a guy with such musical sensibilities as myself?

could you point me in the direction of what such PUs sound like?
    any recordings you could think of or something?

also, i think he is telling me if i leave the SDs in i get the originals packed along with it, but if i ask him to change them back he would keep the SDs ... that's what it sounds like. cause the auction says you get the originals too, but the message i quoted says "you would get one pair"

?
    Dimarzio.com and Gibson.com would be a good place to look.

I once had an engineer come in and purchase a PRS Hollowbody 2 and the deal breaker was that we had to string it with 8's. EIGHTS????!!! Ok, done sold, it's your geetar buddy.

I wouldn't fish for brim with 8's