What Makes An Amps Volume Decrease Erratically

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So Pac,

I just got my "new" '76 Custom (sooooooooo sweet, btw)

But now I'm having this funny problem with my tube amp\cab rig.

I don't think it's the guitars fault ...
in fact i think it's happened before, I just forgot about it, 'cause it hasn't happened in a while.

However, yesterday, it started again ... i was playing with my amp switched to the 10W setting (recall i have a built in attenuator, selectable between 10,20,50, & 100 on my amp) ... around volume level 7 ...

... and every once in a while,
while i'd be attempting to rock out a guitar solo from GnR (i think it was "Breakdown", woo hoo!) ... the volume would just crap out on me.
No crackles or pops or any wierd noises ... the volume level just dissipated to a much lower level than it had been at ... then ... whether jiggling the cords actually helped or not, i can't say, after a few seconds the volume came back ...

... now, i'm still convinced that this amp is putting out an unacceptably low volume level anyway ... cause on 100W at level 8 it's still pretty pinky-dinky ... my ears will ring ... but it is nothing jaw dropping ... not even nearly as loud as my 30watt Mesa cranked ! ! !

so ... i'm thinking that it has to do with the attenuator ?
The guitar tech i had spoken to a while ago about getting this thing serviced said it was a good idea to have it checked out, "just in case", because attenuators place a pretty heavy strain on the tubes, when they are active ...

... so maybe there is some sort of age related service needed on that portion of the amp, and in combination with having ungodly old tubes (20+ years?) ... i'm getting power related problems?

did i just answer my own question?

i feel a 1 word response coming on, followed by "ten characters"

:)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• plinnplinn Posts: 30
    what makes an amp's volume go to 11?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    9 times out of 10 that happens when the power tubes are spent.

I use an attenuator with mine too and I'm having the same issue. It's time to have the old dame serviced.

Question 2, Spinal Tap.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • But can't you just make them louder and have them still go to "10" ?

ps.
    oh. & thanks, Pac!
    You are indespensible around here! :)
    But can't you just make them louder and have them still go to "10" ?

ps.
    oh. & thanks, Pac!
    You are indespensible around here! :)

nice to be needed somewhere.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Oh!
    1 more set of questions.
    Since you love to give out links to all kinds of crazy, boutique stuff...

Any recommendations on super yummy tubes to stock my pretty amp with?

& please don't ask me what class of tube they are...
    i pleade ignorance ... it shouldn't matter, right ... i mean ... for your recommendation ... they would have most kinds ... probably 6L6 or EL34 ... i'd have to look, though ...

& what would you say is the going rate for a full retubing?
    i read on one site, like $350 plus parts ... but i thought it was more like $150 plus parts.
    a couple good places.

http://www.KCANOStubes.com

http://www.watfordvalves.com

http://www.tubedepot.com

http://www.thetubestore.com

I think that's an EL34 amp. Mullards if available are the dogs testicles.

GZ34 Rectifier (Mullard)

12AX7 there are so many good brands it's not even funny

6L6. I tend to prefer the old RCA blackplates that fender used to use but the new American Groove Tubes (from the new fender Tweed Twin and LTD Bassman are excellent) The people at those sites know way, way, way more than me about the goodness threrin and the total price.