Bumbox Lead 1 & High Efficiency Speakers -- MORE VOLUME PLEASE.

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
wow.
i know this is LAME-O
but my Lead 1 came last night (unbeknownst to me, as i was out)
so i jammed on it very briefly this morning, playing through a MesaBoogie 1x12 that is housing a Black Shadow at 125watts. (i think. it's closed back, and also came in a 200w option, but i'm guessing 125?)

anyhow ...
THIS THING IS TOO DARN SOFT!

I feel the face slaps coming ... "Duh! It's 1 WATT!" right?

well,
does anyone have any suggestions on a guitar speaker to recommend me?
i'm resigned to a custom cabinet at this point, as there do not seem to be ANY cabinets out there on the market with low watt\high efficiency speakers in them. :(

Nate made me a 2 line out amp,
so if it were speakers that were REALLY LOW RATED, i could make a version of the Marshall Micro Stack and ROCK THE FUCK OUT.
:D

Maybe i should just try and find a marshall 10'' micro stack w\o the head and replace THOSE speakers?

anyone?

BTW the TONE ROCKS on the Lead 1 ...
it's only decent right now at full volume and full gain by itself due to the huge speaker it's trying to push (whoever said you can push a 4x12 must be NUTS!) ... but with a BBOD and a TS9 cranked before it it sounds pretty bad ass for something that goddamn soft.

:D:D:D
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    They say you can.....not that you should.

You can play through a 4x12 with a cigarette pack Smokey Amp :D

I'd look for something in a 100db to 105 db efficiency rating. Probably paper cone or some other kind of lightweight material.

You could consult the builder, and maybe Ted Weber what have you. You want to make sure you get the right tone speaker for you as well. Alnico's are low wattage, but they might be more chimey than you want.

I'd look hard at the low wattage weber british series, like the Blue Pup and Silver bell and the others in that category. Eminence has a few, obviously low wattage celestions (greenback, blue dog) maybe tone tubbies, though I don't know, some people swear by hemp cones.

Talk to the builder, tell them you need a very high efficiency speaker for the application, with early breakup.

It's not going to be very loud regardless.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    It is all about the speakers homie!
    Like Pac said you can run a smokey into a 4x12 and use it in a small venue. I know people that do.
    I ran the Lead1 into a Marshall 100th 4x12 and the tone was amazing and the volume was great. Through my Germino 2x12 it was more to my taste.
    Did Nate walk you through how to use it?
    I crank the Master all the way and then adjust the Gain to my liking.

FWIW, I am not a fan of Boogie cabs. I would take the Lead1 over to GC and run it though a bunch of stuff till you find something you like. Remember the Lead1 can handle any Ohm speaker so you should be able to find something in between to suit your gigging rig and the Lead1 rig.

In terms of loudness, 1 watt or 1/2 watt is actually much louder then you think. Do a search for wattage output and you will be surprised.

One last thing, Nate hangs out at Theguitarhub.com so get registered and talk to him directly ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • JofZ wrote:
    I ran the Lead1 into a Marshall 100th 4x12 and the tone was amazing and the volume was great.

I crank the Master all the way and then adjust the Gain to my liking.

In terms of loudness, 1 watt or 1/2 watt is actually much louder then you think. Do a search for wattage output and you will be surprised.

Something is wrong here, then.

At what setting do you start to get auidible signal out of your Lead 1 with the Volume@10? With Volume@10, and Gain set less than 3, my Lead1 is completely inaudible.

Is there some potential issue with the two outs? I mean, Nate seems on top of his shit, so I'd doubt that having only one out to the 1x12 would = only half the output... right? (remember, he gave me 2 speaker outs on the back of mine, and i'm currently only using the 1)

This thing is VERY LOW at volume=10 gain=10, tubescreamer & BBOD=10

not whisper low ... but i CAN NOT see how anyone would hear shit out of a 4x12 ... much less state, as you have, that it was LOUD out of a 4x12 ... I GUESS I SHOULD ASK WHAT SPEAKERS WERE IN THE 4x12 and 2x12 THAT YOU USED?
    Like i said, mine was a 125w speaker. so if you were pumping 4x25w speakers, i could maybe see it. but i'm still a bit baffled.

what else should i start evaluating to figure out why my Lead 1 is apparently not as loud as you claim ... either that or i have gone totaly deaf, as opposed to just tone deaf.

Should i look at getting something like a 15w rated speaker at 4ohms or something? lower the ohms may help?
    I think the Mesa is rated at 8ohms, as well.

Ok? and I will definately get with nate over at tgh ...

THANKS ALL!
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Something is wrong here, then.

At what setting do you start to get auidible signal out of your Lead 1 with the Volume@10? With Volume@10, and Gain set less than 3, my Lead1 is completely inaudible.

Is there some potential issue with the two outs? I mean, Nate seems on top of his shit, so I'd doubt that having only one out to the 1x12 would = only half the output... right? (remember, he gave me 2 speaker outs on the back of mine, and i'm currently only using the 1)

This thing is VERY LOW at volume=10 gain=10, tubescreamer & BBOD=10

not whisper low ... but i CAN NOT see how anyone would hear shit out of a 4x12 ... much less state, as you have, that it was LOUD out of a 4x12 ... I GUESS I SHOULD ASK WHAT SPEAKERS WERE IN THE 4x12 and 2x12 THAT YOU USED?
    Like i said, mine was a 125w speaker. so if you were pumping 4x25w speakers, i could maybe see it. but i'm still a bit baffled.

what else should i start evaluating to figure out why my Lead 1 is apparently not as loud as you claim ... either that or i have gone totaly deaf, as opposed to just tone deaf.

Should i look at getting something like a 15w rated speaker at 4ohms or something? lower the ohms may help?
    I think the Mesa is rated at 8ohms, as well.

Ok? and I will definately get with nate over at tgh ...

THANKS ALL!

Something is wrong. Pop over to tGH and ask Nate he will help you for sure.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    George Scholz 12's are incredible speakers. Nothing like a Black Shadow...ore like a cross between a reall good sounding old Fane and a JBL
  • My first suggestion is make sure your plugging into the left channel, industry standard mono channel, if you are using the right it may think yoru using stereo, thus, half your signal is lost. Also remember, these people who are "giggin" with these amps, most likely have the speakers mic'd anyways so the actual stage volume isnt that loud...What is your main purpose for it? i know of some fairly decent (quality and priced) mic's for stuff like that if your going live.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • My first suggestion is make sure your plugging into the left channel, industry standard mono channel, if you are using the right it may think yoru using stereo, thus, half your signal is lost. Also remember, these people who are "giggin" with these amps, most likely have the speakers mic'd anyways so the actual stage volume isnt that loud...What is your main purpose for it? i know of some fairly decent (quality and priced) mic's for stuff like that if your going live.

hey hey.

i'll check what side i had the single wire going out of ... it may have been the right ...

however, after having played the Lead1 out to my Earcandy 2x12 for the first time last night, I'm thinking that the rating on the MB Cabinet is simply very high.

I was hoping it would be the 125w speaker, but it sounds like it must be the 200w, because my 2x12 is housing both a 35w and a 75w emminence ...

it sounds significantly louder through the 2x12 ...
    my Shannon Phase also sounds helluva good run through the Lead 1 in to the 2x12 ...

this amp is really yummy ...

and no, i'm not really "gigging" with this thing ... all though i was considering using it to jam with my roomate ... however, i guess i'll be using the Egnater set to 10W or something, because the Lead1 will probably get lost in the 'mix' very quickly.

the tone is BEAUTIFUL though.
    it just sparkles at near full gain ... and using the BBOD puts it in to high gain yummy yumm territory.

it's a blast to play with!
  • hey hey.

i'll check what side i had the single wire going out of ... it may have been the right ...

however, after having played the Lead1 out to my Earcandy 2x12 for the first time last night, I'm thinking that the rating on the MB Cabinet is simply very high.

I was hoping it would be the 125w speaker, but it sounds like it must be the 200w, because my 2x12 is housing both a 35w and a 75w emminence ...

it sounds significantly louder through the 2x12 ...
    my Shannon Phase also sounds helluva good run through the Lead 1 in to the 2x12 ...

this amp is really yummy ...

and no, i'm not really "gigging" with this thing ... all though i was considering using it to jam with my roomate ... however, i guess i'll be using the Egnater set to 10W or something, because the Lead1 will probably get lost in the 'mix' very quickly.

the tone is BEAUTIFUL though.
    it just sparkles at near full gain ... and using the BBOD puts it in to high gain yummy yumm territory.

it's a blast to play with!

i had another idea. Why dont you use the Lead 1 as a channel in your signal flow, maybe have it right before your other amp, and keep your "loud" amp clean, and then play the lead 1 through it....could sound good

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19