STAGE HOG -- & Cabinet Question ...

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
so ... in typical ME fashion,
I have now been in contact with half a dozen amp manufacturers,
and am still undecided ...

I think maybe the Stage Hog presents the MOST PORTABLE, COST EFFECTIVE NEARTERM SOLUTION ...

But I'm perplexed on my output options for the following reason:

obviously, i will want to get a smaller 1x12 for carying to my friends house, but at home I HAVE a 2x12 earcandy cabinet wired in 8ohm STEREO ...

Here is what Mark S. has to say about the Stage Hog:

Thanks for the interest in the Stage Hog.
The Stage Hog is very touch sensitive and cleans up by rolling down the guitars volume.
With a 5751 tube in the 12AX7 location, the SH can achieve a Super Reverb on 3 tone to a plexi on 10 tone.

The SH can run a speaker load from 2 ohms to 16 ohms without any trouble, all you need to do is wire your cab for 4 ohm mono (parallel) or 16 ohm mono (series). You could even add a switch to the cabinet for mono stereo use.

The Stage Hogs I'm building now are the V5 model. The V5 has a variable lead
level for a solo boost, it can be thought of as 2 channels (rhythm and lead)
when the SH is used as a pedal. When the footswitch Boost (now called Lead)
is engaged the gain is stepped up in the power amp section and the Lead
level control is activated (so a solo boost can be dialed in).
Also, the V5 has a buffered output, so running long cables or several pedals after the SH
will not degrade signal quality.

I am HORRIBLE at figuring out Ohm load calculations, and understanding even simple speaker wiring ...

assuming i am reading this correct, his Stagehog outputs in MONO ... my cabinet has TWO INPUTS (STEREO) ... what are my options?

if i just plug in to one side of my cabinet, what am i doing? Is the connection simplistic in the sense that only one speaker will play? Will both play in mono at a different ohm load? HELP HELP!

Thanks!
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    This is easy.

Your cabinet has two speakers, each 8 ohms. If you plug the mono amp into one side of the cabinet, you'll only get one speaker running.

If you want to get both speakers running with that amp, you have two options: get a second amp to push the second speaker, or re-wire the cab for mono operation. What he suggests is re-wiring the cab for mono.

If you take the two speakers and run them parallel, you will get a 4-ohm load, and in series you'd get 16 ohms, just like he says. When you run two speakers in parallel, it reduces the overall ohmage by half the speakers' original ohmage (8-ohm speakers in parallel make a 4-ohm load) and running in series doubles the original ohmage (8-ohm speakers in series make a 16-ohm load).

There is a subjective opinion that running speakers in parallel gets you a more musical tone than series, and it would be much easier to wire. What you would do is jumper the two speaker jacks on the cab to each other. That way you could also parallel off the cabinet to a second cab. Four points to solder and two 8" legs of speaker wire, and you're done.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • yeah, does your amp have a mono option? if not either you, a friend, guitar shop could re-wire it to paralell, or even get a switch installed so it could switch depending on the amp your using...or when its only in the left input, it runs mono....theres ton's of options, i woudl get the two inputs where left is also mono, and then it splits once a right application is plugged in...talk to a store abotu gettign this hooked up, im sure they could help

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • oh well.

i wish he would just cave to my request and wire the damn Stage Hog with STEREO out for me.

:(

I specificaly requested my cabinet wired in stereo so i could use flange and paned delay and shtuff ...

... i guess truthfully i've never much monkeyed with the stereo ... but ... ?

... oh hell ... nothing in life is easy when it comes to gear.

i don't care what you say, mig.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    To get an amp wired for stereo, you essentially have to build two separate amps within the same box. Most people who want a stereo effect will run two identical amps into two identical cabs, or else run a main rig with a smaller amp running the stereo signal (like a Fender Champ or Pro Junior).

The option I didn't discuss earlier was having someone wire a switch into your cabinet so that you could switch it from mono wiring to stereo. Would cost a little bit, but not as much as another cabinet, so if you want the ability to do stereo in that cab, might be something to consider. I'd call and get a quote just for shits and grins, call the local music shop and ask if they or anyone they recommend could do that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.