Options

changing pickguard

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have decided to change my strat pickguard and I have never attempted to do anything to my guitar before this. I found some walkthroughs on the internet and think i am gonna try it. So, i was just wondering how difficult it is and if there is anything i can really screw up? Also, any tips? thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    on a strat it's a piece of cake.

take the strings off.
    take the knobs off the volume/tone
    take off all the pickguard screws.
    then it's just a matter of taking off the pickups and pots/switch and remounting on the new pickguard.

the entire wiring harness is one piece and there's really no way to get anything into the wrong position when putting it back together. just make a few notes of what things look like before you take stuff off the existing pickguard.

just make a note of your pickup heights before you remove them and be careful not to break any wire connections.
  • Options
    ok cool thanks, the pickup height is the main thing i am concerned about, well, let's see how this goes...
  • Options
    wow, that was really easy and it looks awesome, thanks for the help exhausted
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    cool. going to black really changes the look of the guitar. especially with the white pickups etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    cool. going to black really changes the look of the guitar.

It did miracles for mine, I have by far the coolest (right-handed, wink to ex) Tele out there now.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    people already answered your question but there's not much you can screw up other than the pickguard byt cutting it wrong or putting the holes in the wrong places.

I changed mine from white to tortoise shell and I think it looks great
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'