Options

Maxon OD v. Big Muff v. Voodoo Lab

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you guys recommend for a classic rock/bluesy type music? I listened to all of them on the internet and I really like the Maxon. The big muff (any version) sounds too heavy and i like the Voodoo Lab. It seems that everyone likes the Muff, so is it as heavy as it sounds on the net. thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Big Muff = grungy madness. If you want a lot of punch, but no clarity (Smashing Pumpkins, et al), then the Big Muff is the one and only. But for note definition, you want something lighter, more dynamic. I always prefer a Tubescreamer - type overdrive over a distortion/fuzz effect. And a good tube amp is almost ALWAYS a key ingredient.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Maxon OD and the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive are essentially the same thing. the voodoo lab allows you to blend a more clean signal with a more distorted one, but really unless you have a nice big great sounding rig you won't notice it. Both are great bluesy overdrives.

The muff is overkill.

I have found that 2 overdrives or the combination of an overdrive and a distortion toegther give me the best sound because you can set one for clean boost and the other will just cook the preamp and give you a nice balls out sound that is great for leads.

I have a Barber Direct Drive. $99 bucks. Essentially a TS-808 clone with strong bottom end and a bit more gain if you want it, very clean as a clean boost.

you can read about it at harmony-central or at http://www.barberelectronics.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    muffs are great but totally not what you're looking for. can't go wrong with the maxon. the sparkle drive lacks low end a little too much for my tastes but yuo can restore some of that with the clean blend.

i'm buying a new muff tonight though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    muffs are great but totally not what you're looking for. can't go wrong with the maxon. the sparkle drive lacks low end a little too much for my tastes but yuo can restore some of that with the clean blend.

i'm buying a new muff tonight though.

really tonight? you are replacing the old one?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    really tonight? you are replacing the old one?

yes. it's dead for good now. it had a run in with a cement wall last night.

and i want the true bypass.

i'm recording and i need the liquid distortion sound.
  • Options
    yes. it's dead for good now. it had a run in with a cement wall last night.

and i want the true bypass.

i'm recording and i need the liquid distortion sound.

wow good stress relief I hope. you'll be happier with an NYC anyway. Hope you get a good price. 80 bucks is pretty cheap anyway.
  • Options
    yeah, they're $115 canadian pesos which is $86US right now. so not bad. i can't get it shipped to me any cheaper so off we go.
  • Options
    yeah, they're $115 canadian pesos which is $86US right now. so not bad. i can't get it shipped to me any cheaper so off we go.

I wonder if private citizens can ship cheaper. Aren't there any places in Calgary that sell EH?

Laughably Guitar Center continues it's transformation as the Wal Mart of guitar stores and has dropped EH. They now for all intensive purposes carry only Boss and Digitech as well as MXR/dunlop in the stompbox realm anyhow.

But get this they picked up asshole Fulltone.
  • Options
    yeah, i'll just buy it at the shop here. they have a shitload of EH stuff.

it would be cheaper to buy online but after shipping it's not. plus, i can go play that honeyburst LP standard again.
  • Options
    JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I wonder if private citizens can ship cheaper. Aren't there any places in Calgary that sell EH?

Laughably Guitar Center continues it's transformation as the Wal Mart of guitar stores and has dropped EH. They now for all intensive purposes carry only Boss and Digitech as well as MXR/dunlop in the stompbox realm anyhow.

But get this they picked up asshole Fulltone.

Yeah what's the deal with that?
    They claim they dropped EH because they weren't selling well and they weren't supporting customers. I think it's pure BS!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Options
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Yeah what's the deal with that?
    They claim they dropped EH because they weren't selling well and they weren't supporting customers. I think it's pure BS!

well when I worked there a couple of years ago Gibson dropped them because of some argument, I can't remember exactly something to do with GC wanting a better deal. Naturally GC was a billion times better than Mars and eventually Gibson came back. My guess is it's politics. The GC buyer is on the west coast out in LA. They sell a billion times more Boss and Digitech stomps because frankly that kind of hack music and hack guitarists stuff is cool right now. For the most part besides the Big Muff the EH stuff is not selling that well in the mega stores. My buddies at GC are pretty pissed too. Oh well I'll buy cheaper online.

Funny I remember a perfect black Les Paul Standard we took in used that this guy wanted to buy he asked me how much....I say 1200 and it's a great deal at that. He says well I want to think about it. I say, fine. Go down the road about 2 miles and check out everything Mars has to offer. He leaves. My manager jumps all over me for sending the guy to the competition. 2 hours later, he's back and he buys it. I smile. See told you so.

I'd love to open my own shop and sell just pro gear and hard to find stuff and ship cheap to Canada.