I'm a believer

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
At first I was skeptical about the whole tube amp thing. I thought to myself, can anyone REALLY tell the difference between a solid state and a tube. Well, I just got my Hot Rod Deluxe today (off ebay, roughly 400), and holy crap. It is like night and day in my opinion. I play a std. strat through it and I can't believe how good it sounds. anyways, back to playing...
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    I do have a question though for anyone with a similar setup or knows about it...when i have my tone knobs turn up beyond around 5, i hear some humming from the amp ( very very little). But, when i turn the tone knobs down there is ZERO hum.. Is this normal?? thanks (sorry for the ignorance)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah. pretty much normal. you're going to get some hum from them no matter what.

HRDs are nice amps.
    allrighty then, thanks
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If I remember right, the numbers on a Hot Rod are 1-12? Anyways...

When you have a tone pot at half-value, it's actually 0. No effect whatsoever. If you turn it below half, you're essentially turning the volume down in that frequency range. If you turn it above half, you're increasing the volume in that frequency range. So, from 0, you can go say to -10, or to +10. Therefore, when you increase the tone value, you're increasing gain. Increasing gain will amplify the self-noise of the amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    ok, yea...that is pretty much what happens, thanks!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ideally, the best way to set your tone is to set all three tone knobs at half-value, and then SUBTRACT the things you DON'T want.

However, in a situation where you only have Bass and Treble controls, the only way to cut the Mids is to boost the Bass and Treble, relative to the Mids at 0. Also, some people like to drive an amp's EQ section for a certain flavor of overdrive.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.