Why not noisgate?

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is there any reason not to use a noise gate in your pedal chain? Does it suck tone or something? Any expereince? thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you may lose some high end sparkle depending on where the threshold sits. That's all I can think of.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    general consensus is that that, yes, they will kill tone. i have an NS-2 that I used from time to time and don't really notice a big tone suck though.

I find it very useful for silencing the hum of gain pedals when recording (keeping the guitar quiet in the short time before and after parts) though I tend to just use a volume pedal for that now.
  • Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    i plan on just having a wah and a distortion (either ts9 or route 66 OD), you think i will need one or no?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    just turn the gain pedal off when you're not playing and you'd be fine i'd think. however, if you're more concerned about hum between phrases or something within a song and don't want a bunch of hum in those silences, then you might want a gate depending on how much noise you end up with from the pedals.

just wait and see how much noise the pedals make once you've got them.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I use a Morley Bad Horsie 1 (Vai model wah) a Barber Direct Drive into a Rat into a Line 6 DL-4 into an Orange AD15/12. My effects are powered by a Godlyke Powerall. I don't have a hiss problem at all. The morley has a great buffer in it. Even though it's not the best wah for the music that I play but I've asked a buddy about this and he used to use it for a signal buffer as well and another wah for his wah sounds never telling anyone about how he got his stage sound so quiet because he was a little embarassed about it thinking someone would tell him how he had it wrong and he could have done it better well it wasn't broke so he didn't fix it. So learning this. I have decided to forgo signal buffers and just keep my bad horsie in the chain and buy a different wah for my general wah sounds. Focus on a clean power supply and the sources of your hum. A little shielding can go a long way.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    cool thanks guys