Options

How loud?

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Approximately how much wattage do you need in a tube ampt in order to play a small gig. Is 80 watts too much, would i be able to ever use that to practice on or no? thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    80 watts is more than enough
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    Originally posted by Scoot82
    Approximately how much wattage do you need in a tube ampt in order to play a small gig. Is 80 watts too much, would i be able to ever use that to practice on or no? thanks

80 watts is a lot. It really depends on what you're playing, how big the room, and if they are miking the amp into the PA.
    If you are playing clean with no distortion, and the amp isn't miked, 80 watts is cool and probably way more than enough. If you want to crank the thing, 80 will usually be way too much and will break the windows and beer mugs! A 22 watt deluxe, or other small amp should be fine, and better in practice.
    Probably the only time you'll ever get to wind up a big amp, like 80 to 100 watts would be in a 2000 + seat venue, but even then, the sound guy will mike a small one and can make it sound as big , or bigger than a 100 watter.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    In my opinion, 20-50 watts is plenty. Anything more than that is gravy. But you can get better saturation at reasonable volumes out of a lower-wattage amp, so I prefer that. You can always attenuate (like a Weber MASS, a Power Brake, a Hot Plate, etc), but that's another piece of gear you don't need. And if you're going to attenuate all the time, why not get a smaller amp? Anyways...

80 watts would be acceptable, but you'll never use the full capacity of that (unless you're in a VERY loud, obnoxious band). Keep in mind that the Trentino amps Stone and Mike are using are both like 30 watts, and Ed uses a 50-watt Hiwatt that's probably too big, anyways. And Mike and Stone both have been using 50-watt or smaller amps for about a decade. And my FAVORITE example here, is Ani DiFranco... she plays arenas and stadiums and very large places like that, she has a 50-watt Rivera amp for stage volume, but also has a parallel line to a Fender Pro Junior, which is like 10 watts... and that is her PA rig, that's the amp they mic. And it sounds great! But for un-mic'd gigs, I'd recommend 20-50 watts.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    yeah.. 80 watts is way more than enough for a small gig..
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    ok cool, what do you guys recommned then in the 20-30 tube amp range for rock music (PJ style, classic rock, some blues)?
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ok cool, what do you guys recommned then in the 20-30 tube amp range for rock music (PJ style, classic rock, some blues)?

Depending on your price range. Some of my favorites for blues playing.

Peavy, Delta Blues 2x10

Peavy, Classic 50

Fender HR Deluxe. Fender 65 Deluxe RI

Fender Bassman. Fender HR Deville. Fender Super Reverb

Fender Vibrolux etc. Fender Vibrochamp

Any Fender built from 1964-67

Vox AC 15 Vox AC 30

Matamp (anything in the wattage value)

Orange AD 15

Orange AD 30

Orange AD 30 TC

Rivera Chubster

Mesa F-30 F-50 heartbreaker, nomad, maverick, "Blue Angel" Mark 1 Mark IV

Dr Z, Maz 18 Jr, Dr Z Mazerati, DR Z KT 45, Route 66 (Ok DR Z anything!)

Matchless, Lightning, Clubman......yeah matchless anything

Hiwatt DC40 Bulldog.

Bogner- anything

Germino- anything.

Ok that's all I can think of for now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    wow, thats a lot of amps...can all these also handle rock music as well as blues?
  • Options
    wow, thats a lot of amps...can all these also handle rock music as well as blues?

yes, they are all equally fine for Rock or Blues.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    think 80 watts is enough.. i have 35 at home, my friend 50..
    they are both very loud.. so i think 80 is plenty..
    now you can finally play with every the volume right open ;)
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    check out http://www.fatsoundguitars.com and browse around. They have a nice used section as well.