tube service

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
How much does a tech usually charge for checking out an amp? I went to a local store today and the guy said it would be a minimum of $40, without parts. Is this pretty standard or too high? thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's pretty standard bench time if there's no problems. You may be able to buy tubes elsewhere for cheaper depending.

What's wrong with your amp?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    the volume plays normal then all of sudden gets really quiet, only to return to normal volume 10 seconds later. This only happens when i plug into the input, and does not happen whne i go through the power amp in part (it is a hot rod deluxe by the way). I think this means transistors (?) but i really do not know anything about amps at all. I got the amp off of ebay so i am kinda mad that i am gonna have to spend 40 more to get it looked at, otherwise i would have just bought a new one. oh, well.
    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
  • Forty bucks is reasonable. It's probably a preamp tube and easy to fix. Parts aren't usually that much, unless it's a transformer or something big, but that's somewhat unlikely.
    It's worth it to take it to somebody that knows what they're doing. They can give it a check up anyway.

Don't feel bad , half the time you have to take new amps in for a tune up, too.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart