differences in strats??

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
i am currently looking to upgrade my standard strat to some form of an american strat and just had a few questions for the knowledgable. Ok, here is what I don't get. I can buy an american deluxe strat for $1000, with no rebate because it doesn't apply to the deluxe models. It is my understanding that the main new features of this guitar are the S-1 switching and the new cobalt pickups. An example can be seen here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040604095744012098016139351649/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511142/

Another option is the american HSS which has the S-1 but no cobalt pickups. I assume even if i don't want the humbucker in the bridge i can swap in a single coil right? So, the only difference is then the pickups? This guitar can be had for $759, or $240 less than the deluxe. I imagine i could buy a set of the cobalt pups for less than $240, right? An example is seen here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040604095744012098016139351649/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/515116/

Then there is the straight american strat for $729 without the S-1 or cobalt. Why would i not pay the $50 diff. between this and the guitar above for the S-1 switching option? Is this because of the color options or what? Am i missing something?

Thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    why can't i ever link into the right site for musicians friend? sorry about that, i don't know why it doesn't work
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dig through fender.com to look at detailed specs for both guitars. generally, you can put whatever you want for pickups in a strat. they are generally all routed for a full humbucker in the bridge and singles in the middle and neck.

your main concerns are the woods used and the quality of the tuners and other hardware. b/c you are looking at american models, the hardware issue goes away for sure b/c they use pretty good stuff on all of them.

i have no experience with the S1 switching or with fender's latest pickups but i do know that aftermarket pickups in a strat can make a world of difference. I have an american standard that i put seymour duncan classic stacks into and did a pretty trick wiring job on it and i love it now.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    after looking at the specs, it says "select alder" for the body on the deluxe and just plain old "alder" on the HSS.

the S1 switching is pretty trick though. bear in mind that those cobalt pickups are noiseless too (no hum is very nice) but i don't know how they sound.

the pickups and the grade of body wood are the big differences i see.

if you knew you wanted to mess with pickups, i'd get the HSS. with a new pickguard, knobs, etc. the all black is kinda ugly.

if you thought you'd like the cobalts and leave a deluxe stock, i'd get it.
  • Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    ok, thanks that is what i needed to know...i appreciate it
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Scoot82
    why can't i ever link into the right site for musicians friend? sorry about that, i don't know why it doesn't work

Apparently, MF is getting tricky... I can't direct-link to any of their items anymore, anyways.

If, however, you go to their main page and enter the item number (the number at the end of the item's URL), it'll take you there. So, for example, the American Deluxe Strat is item # 511142, and the Strat HSS is item # 515116.

I think we need to change our protocol around here for linking to MF... those damn punks...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.