Multi-effects Pedals

Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi everyone, does anyone have any experiences with multi-effects units? I am thinking of asking for one for christmas. I am looking at the Digitech GNX2 (possibly 3), Boss GT-(3,5,6), or possibly the Vox Tonelab. Any suggestions/experience with these pedals? Thanks
Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks for the reply, do you have any experience with it McCready? I have heard that the POD stuff does not sound good through amps, only when directly recorded.
  • anyone? Any help is appreciated...
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    Scoot82 wrote:
    anyone? Any help is appreciated...

I won't touch the things so i'm of no use to you............

Maybe this might help you though...........

go to your local shop and try them out........get a good feel for them and see if you like them..........
  • If you use the amp models and cab models from the POD, and then run it into an amp and speaker, it sounds pretty bad. But if you just use the effects patches... much better.

I think the big problem there is people running, say, a Marshall Plexi model with a Marshall TV Cab model, and then run that into a Fender with a Jensen alnico. It's like starting with apples and expecting orange juice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

A+++

i really wish i had a nickel for everytime i lauded line6 these days.
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    Scoot82 wrote:
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any experiences with multi-effects units? I am thinking of asking for one for christmas. I am looking at the Digitech GNX2 (possibly 3), Boss GT-(3,5,6), or possibly the Vox Tonelab. Any suggestions/experience with these pedals? Thanks

If you're just going for recording, and messing around in your room most multi-effects units will be fine. Although if you're planning on playing anything live their tone ends up beings subpar, and changing settings can be a bitch.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Thanks for the input guys. I would use the pedal mostly for just noodling around right now (with aspirations of using it for live performances in the future). I just want access to a lot of different sounds without having to buy 20 seperate stompboxes (I have 3 now...Maxon OD-9, Dunlop Wah, and CE-3 compressor). Also, i have a hot rod deluxe as my amp right now. I am not looking for the ultimate tone and understand that the multi-effects will not provide it either. So considering this, which pedal do you guys prefer for options, ease of use, and other such aspects. thanks
    i still vote for one of the pod XTs.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i still vote for one of the pod XTs.

Ditto that.
  • Angus wrote:

intend to buy this one...it's got everything.
    Like a cloud dropping rain, I'm discarding allllll thought.
  • Personally i completely avoid those things. I tend to go for seperate pedals rather than multi effects boards. It is more expensive to buy the effects seperatly, but believe me its worth it!

Think about what effects you want specifically, and then look at buying them seperatly.
    'Fox hunting is barbaric, the people who do it are a bunch of snobby tories with stupid posh accents. Oh damn, i didn't say that - damn, what a giveaway...'
  • Personally I don't like Multi Effects. Guitars and Amps are multi effects. Look at all the knobs. There are so many tones just in that. Honestly I've just found them to be more of a hassle. I use a few pedals with my set-up and it is so much easier to deal with. You can change settings on the fly. Don't have to fumble around with all those parameters and saved patches etc... Plus if one breaks live pull it out of the chain and you still got the rest. Easy to fix yourself. Also cheaper to buy one new pedal than a whole multi unit. Depending on the pedal.

That's my 2 cents.
    http://www.5against1live.com
    http://www.myspace.com/5vs1
    http://www.tributecity.com

I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
  • Personally I don't like Multi Effects. Guitars and Amps are multi effects. Look at all the knobs. There are so many tones just in that. Honestly I've just found them to be more of a hassle. I use a few pedals with my set-up and it is so much easier to deal with. You can change settings on the fly. Don't have to fumble around with all those parameters and saved patches etc... Plus if one breaks live pull it out of the chain and you still got the rest. Easy to fix yourself. Also cheaper to buy one new pedal than a whole multi unit. Depending on the pedal.

As far as it goes, I'm no fan of multi-fx either. I always preferred simple setups. My pedalboard is pretty involved, lately...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/Pedalboard.jpg

Guitar -> Ernie Ball Volume -> MXR Dyna Comp -> MXR Phase 90 -> Keeley TS-9 Plus -> Keeley TS-9 Baked -> DigiTech DigiVerb -> Boss DD-6 -> Amp

The pic has the delay and reverb switched, I recently rewired for stereo signal. I power up with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, and I run a Korg DT-3 tuner off the tuner out from the volume pedal.

But I don't like to use gobs of effects. Usually, it's just overdrive. I've been playing some backup leads for a guy I know, emulating a pedal steel guitar, where I use the volume, comp, verb, and delay to create interesting swells, but that's about as crazy as I get. If I was in a gigging band, I'd probably only use the two TS-9's. And I still like just plugging direct.

Ultimately, multi-fx pedals are great for two things... 1) messing around with stuff in your bedroom, deciding what pedals to spend real money on, and 2) making your guitar sound like an angry mosquito. I believe the Pod XT (and to a lesser extent, the Vox Tonelab) has the ability to sound good to someone interested in investing the time to learn how to use it.
    angry mosquitoes have their place.

it's all just electrons. if it sounds cool. i don't care how it was made.

the rewarding nature of pods and their ilk are directly proportional to the amount of time spent with them. some people like tweaking. some people don't.