Copyrighting Songs

zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi All,

I've finished a CD and am going to (hopefully) sell some copies of it independently. Anyone know anything about copyrighting songs you've done? I've read that all you need is a sentence saying "All Songs Copyrighted 2005" or whatever. Is this true? I'm just trying to cover my ass as much as possible so my songs don't get ripped off. Thanks.
"As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    A cheap way to do it is to make an audio copy of your demo, along with full lyric sheets and a list of the participants....then put them in a sealed pack and send it to yourself - recorded delivery - through the post...once this is done, take it to some kind of safety deposit box at your bank or whatever...somewhere where it is logged in terms of date..possibly speak to your bank manager about what you want to do and they will log it for you...that way...if ever you need to produce your shit in court it will be sealed and dated....:)
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Stinkfoot wrote:
    A cheap way to do it is to make an audio copy of your demo, along with full lyric sheets and a list of the participants....then put them in a sealed pack and send it to yourself - recorded delivery - through the post...once this is done, take it to some kind of safety deposit box at your bank or whatever...somewhere where it is logged in terms of date..possibly speak to your bank manager about what you want to do and they will log it for you...that way...if ever you need to produce your shit in court it will be sealed and dated....:)

^^^^^ Yeah, what Stinkfoot said! ^^^^^^^^^^^

It's the cheapest and easiest way, and will hold in court if it ever came to that.
  • Stinkfoot wrote:

This does not hold up in court.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Here is the link to the copy right form for the US (instructions included in form). Print it out, read instructions carefully, fill out forms, write check, send cd with one general name for the cd (album name for an example).

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formpai.pdf
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • 39Reasons39Reasons Posts: 16
    My band does this all the time it's so easy.
    Like ATY's wrote go to http://www.copyright.gov/ fill out the PDF forms print and mail, send application, check, lyrics and one or two copies of the work and name it. The fee is $30.00..sorry if I'm repeating some earlier suggestions.

TIP: Send via fedex - not regular mail
    With the extra security in place because of the anthrax thing that was going on, they have added serious measures to protect themselves. ANYTHING sent via regular mail is scanned with this machine that can damage the cd it did with ours once. Sending via a private carrier like fedex will bypass that process.
    Good luck and share the tunage yo!! Where can I listen?
    www.39reasons.com
    www.myspace.com/39reasons
    www.myspace.com/joebassman
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    39Reasons wrote:
    Good luck and share the tunage yo!! Where can I listen?

I'm going to be setting up a website in the future. I'll post links here when it's ready.

Thanks for the info guys!
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    :)
    .........................................................................................................
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready