Wheels for an amp

zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a big amp with a leather handle that I can carry around if I wish, problem is it's really damn heavy and if I keep doing it I might give myself a hernia.

I've seen people who roll in amps on wheels. Are there things you can buy to put amps on and wheel them in, or can you just take a big piece of wood and nail some wheels to the corners?

Any helpful advice would be great.
"As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    zircona1 wrote:
    I have a big amp with a leather handle that I can carry around if I wish, problem is it's really damn heavy and if I keep doing it I might give myself a hernia.

I've seen people who roll in amps on wheels. Are there things you can buy to put amps on and wheel them in, or can you just take a big piece of wood and nail some wheels to the corners?

Any helpful advice would be great.
    Here's some options:

- http://www.zzounds.com/item--ERN6102 (I like these the best since you can probably just replace the existing feet with these).

- http://www.zzounds.com/item--ERN6101

- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MCSN-Caster-and-Socket-Set?sku=482888 (the Ernie Ball's might be better since these have a plastic socket)

- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Road-Ready-RRWAD-Heavy-Duty-Caster-Kit?sku=541196

Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Hey Ian, I've heard from a couple sources that if you pop those on a combo amp it can mess with the bass response since the amp is sitting slightly off the floor. Do you think it would make a difference?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Novawind wrote:
    Hey Ian, I've heard from a couple sources that if you pop those on a combo amp it can mess with the bass response since the amp is sitting slightly off the floor. Do you think it would make a difference?
    Mmmmmmm, yeah, sometimes I perceive a small tone loss - I sometimes feel that casters mess with my tone (but just a little, and only with certain
    amps - But I also feel that it really depends on how sensitive your ears are, and I honestly don't think that most people can really hear a difference.

When talking about gear and sound and perceived tone loss, I feel that many people are lemmings, and just follow what
    everyone else says without really knowing or really listening to anything for themselves (some people say it, so it must
    be true - dumb-da-dumb-da-dumb, off the cliff I go
    )
    . Truthfully, the only real way to know for sure is to use your own
    ears and listen. As I said, I only perceive a small tone loss with certain amps on casters (with some amps I hear more
    tone loss, with others less, and with some I don't notice any - and it can also depend on the room and what-not).

NOW, take into consideration that if you have pop in casters you can take them out and sit the amp on the floor, easy (or preferably onto something
    like a grama) - So perceived or not, the problem is solved - make sense???
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Yeah, the pop-in/pop-out casters should pretty much take care of the mobility issue and if there's tone loss well just pop-em out and problem solved. :)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1