Options

Double Bass Drums

artin90artin90 Posts: 66
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
How come not a lot of drummers use double bass drums?
“ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by artin90
    How come not a lot of drummers use double bass drums?

They have small penises and need to compensate.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Some drummers prefer to have a smaller kit. The drummer in my band abhors double bass drums. He uses a single drum with double pedals.
    Zac Whalen
  • Options
    I play a jazz-fusion kit and a single pedal.

I have nothing to hide.
  • Options
    not being a drummer myself, u can quite understandably choose to ignore, but the drummer in my band has 8 years experience so i just listen to him. Wouldn't a double bass drum, despite looking v. cool, take up a stupid amount of room? when you could, for less money and with the same anount of space, have a double pedal?
    some things once spoken, can't be taken back
  • Options
    artin90artin90 Posts: 66
    actually i meant why dont a lot of drummers use double pedalling the concept? i mean i barely hear any mainstream bands nowadays use it except for metal
    “ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
    Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

• Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by artin90
    actually i meant why dont a lot of drummers use double pedalling the concept? i mean i barely hear any mainstream bands nowadays use it except for metal

Carter Beuford of DMB uses two bass drums... he pulls it off though... that guy is an amazing drummer....
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    i remember the old tale of everyone swearing John Bonham used a double bass drum kick pedal on the song Good Times/Bad Times from their first album Led Zeppelin. And he used one foot. In Fact JB bought a double bass kick later down the line and Jimmy Page hid it from him declaring he could perform much better without it.

i hate double bass drums. Leave it to Lars.

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    I hate having two bass drums because:
    1, it takes a lot of time to build the kit
    2, it takes a lot of space in a van during the transport to a gig place.
    3, it takes a lot of room on the stage during the gig.

if you play venues of 25,000 people and have your own technician, who 99 % of drummers dont have, you may think that 2 bass drums are good for you but in every other case they are wasting of your time and nerves...:)
    me: www.myspace.com/mariomarcinek

my band: www.myspace.com/mofokillerain

official site: www.stonerock.sk
  • Options
    silassilas Posts: 23
    I too play a Jazz/Fusion sized kit, and single pedal. I think that if you really want to do that, go do it on a single pedal and not spend $250 on a nice double bass pedal (or double bass drums for that matter). I don't think it's the greatest sounding thing anyway, and I've never liked it.
  • Options
    Get a phatty DW single pedal and learn how to use it.

Double-kick pedals are nice occasionally for accents, but metal is about the only place where triplets and quadruplets are even appreciated.

Double-kick-drums are nice only if they're tuned differently as an effect. But most of the time, they're just there for looks. I hear that Lars uses a Tama Iron Cobra double-kick pedal on a single drum, despite having both drums up there. That's just fucking lame.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Get a phatty DW single pedal and learn how to use it.

Double-kick pedals are nice occasionally for accents, but metal is about the only place where triplets and quadruplets are even appreciated.

Double-kick-drums are nice only if they're tuned differently as an effect. But most of the time, they're just there for looks. I hear that Lars uses a Tama Iron Cobra double-kick pedal on a single drum, despite having both drums up there. That's just fucking lame.

Where'd you hear that? Just wondering...
    ...Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • Options
    You mean about Lars? I don't remember where I heard that...