help for my guitarist

artin90artin90 Posts: 66
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
okay im in this band with a lot varying opinions. i love pj and mike mcready and his leads are amazing. just the way he plays like a classical guitarist. my guitarist is more of a metal guitarist. he just likes to play heavy chords all the time and never likes to lead. what do i do to change him?
“ ahh…. Yaa…. If you trust me at all… if you wanna listen to me at all… which you certainly don’t have to. Speaking from experience I can tell you that things change. You could believe me, you don’t have to. They probably won’t change, unless you make them. The best way to change something around you, something you don’t like, is.. to change yourself. I don’t think you want other people changing you.. I think.. I think.. the only person you want changing you… is yourself. So if you ain’t happy…. If you’re reading magazines about generation x’s and thinking ‘ya im one of them’ well fuck that…. Don’t let anybody tell you who you are. No… No…. No one can tell me who I am. I can tell you who I am but that would be a long story… I can tell you who I am and it wouldn’t fit in a Rolling Stone…. It wouldn’t fit in a video… it wouldn’t… its my life…. Its your life. Youre the only one that knows who you are. I hope you know who you are. If you don’t know who you are, figure it out. Cause you are some body. And Im probably stating the obvious. But I just thought I would do it anyway. So if you fell like you got a piece of duct tape on your mouth, if you feel like you cant speak. Take it off, Speak up. Speak your Mind. Shout it Out. Let ‘em Hear Ya. Shout it out…… YAAA YAAAAA yAAAAAAAAAAA.” Eddie Vedder (Porch ’96 Randle Island 2)

10/22/03
Ten, No Code, Vs., Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy, Binaural

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    You can't. He won't change his playing unless he wants to. You can present the argument but it really is all up to him. If he doesn't fit in with the band at all you should talk to him about it though. He may have to leave. Or you may have to leave. Or maybe you can come to some comprimise.

Diversity in a band is a very good thing. It can make you all improve as musicians and is really important when trying to find your sound. There is a such thing as too diverse, though.
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    you're never gonna change his mind. If hes metal, hes gonna stay metal. Its like, im in a band with someone who likes Christina Aguliera, Im not gonna play clean, piddly assed crap, which, having my best mate as a metal head, is exactly what hes gonna see stright rock and roll being, even hard rock like Ten....
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • tylerpjtxtylerpjtx Posts: 201
    they're both right. you either gotta accept it and work with it and use it to ur band's advantage or find a new guitarist (or band). also on the diversity issue....think about how diverse PJ is. there's mike who's the classic lead player with the srv, hendrix type solos. then there's stone whose riffs are so freakin original he should have his own section in the music store. there's jeff who claims aerosmith type stuff but also the who/led zep. and ed of course who seems to like bits and pieces of EVERYTHING. classic rock, older pop (last kiss), punk, and even motown...and there's matt who's influences i havnt found but he's a freakin amazing drummer, i knwo that lol. so just look at that....The Ramones to Led Zeppelin. The Jackson 5 to SRV....Sex Pistols to CCR. it's pretty cool, eh?
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    if hes iN TO UR TYPikal METAL ridem stUfF And u wanT A BLUES/ROk geetarIST lIKE MCCREADY THEN UR BETTeR OF GETTiN ANOTHER GEETARIst. U CANt just LERN that SHIT oVERNIte. U gotta prcaTice 4 ages tO DO THAT sTUFF
  • abs2k4abs2k4 Posts: 7
    he is into metal and plays only heavy chords?
    make your guitarist listen to black sabbath...try to get him inspired by Iommi...
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    ALL good suggestions....but yeah, bottom line is you can't change somebody that doesn't want to be changed....only he can do that on his own.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • i had a very similar problem with the band i was trying to start recently. the band ended up dissolving.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • Well... talk to him and compromise. Diversity is good... makes the band less boring, or not boring at all, and also makes it more versatile.
    Hi, my name is Denis and I endorse this post.
  • bruins1bruins1 Posts: 16
    Lobotomy. Works every time.
    yankees suck