Teaching Myself??

magonigolmagonigol Posts: 11
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
How would i go (with the right sota aid) teaching myself the bass? The thing is im at uni, i work weekends and find it difficult to find a specific time to get any kind of lessons. How difficult is it to teah yourself and sound half decent?
im the first man to wet my pants
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Its not very difficult, if you have the patience. That really is the key. Practice and patience.
    What you need to do first, really is to know where each note is on EADG strings.

Obviously open first string is E. First Fret: F, 2nd:# 3rd G and so on.
    Basic, introduction books, will show you this.

An idea is to learn very basic songs: Smoke On The Water, Rocking in the Free World, even Betterman. So you can get used to playing three to four root notes of the songs.
    So you can either print off some tabs of a song of the net, or buy a book with tabs, and read the tabs to find what fret is used and when.

For Example. The basic chorus to Betterman:
    E----5--3---5--3
    A--5
    D
    G

Simple.
    Three root notes: ie: held for the the desgingnated time.
    Practice this, so you get a feel for moving around the neck, and then when you've 'mastered' the chorus, you can move on to something al ittle more challenging.
    - "I mean Good Charlotte are good. They just sound like someone shoved a popsical up someones ass!" Ed.

"I am ahead, I am advanced, I am the first man to borrow Stones leather pants."

Stone Gossard: Is the height of fashion. More poeple should take note, and learn from a master
  • thanks mate, the basics i know of, just have to be able to put into practise.
    im the first man to wet my pants
  • RVM2003MFC wrote:
    Its not very difficult, if you have the patience. That really is the key. Practice and patience.

and CALLUSES!!!
    "I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
    "If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    and CALLUSES!!!

you pansy guitarists. think about what we drummers have to put up with in terms of calluses and blisters!!!

not even funny
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • duggro wrote:
    you pansy guitarists. think about what we drummers have to put up with in terms of calluses and blisters!!!

not even funny

Actually, yes, I do :)...I played drums for about three years. I also play violin, keyboard, bass, and regular guitar. Are you sure that's what the calluses are actually from? :)
    "I don't need drugs; life is tragic enough."
    "If you love someone, let them go...if someone loves you, don't fuck up."

~Julie