Got my very first guitar back!

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got an acoustic guitar for my 11th birthday.....almost 21 years ago.....heh, I wish I really wanted to play back then. Instead, I'm just learning to play now on the new Art & Luthrie I bought.

....anyway....my ex-wife brought it over today.

It's a Yamaha FG-410.....no clue if it's a good guitar or not.

It's been sitting in a case for 10+ years, and the strings look and sound horrible.

any suggestions on some new strings?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Martin strings? I dunno, check the store and see what they got.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Martin strings? I dunno, check the store and see what they got.

I like Elixers.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I use Martin's on my acoustic. But I'm so used to playing electrics, that I think I need to go with a lighter gauge on my acoustic.
  • I use Ernie Balls for acoustic and electric (martins are great too, but i've never played elixers to my knowledge).

i can tell you though, that ernie ball strings have a wide variety of gauges available so you can surely find exactly what you're looking for (gauge-wise at least). I'm sure the other brands do too, but i mean that in the sense that if you just go to a music shop you'll see them readily displayed.. and it strikes me as more than the average brand... usually i only see one or two gauges of each of the others... upwards of 4 for EB.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    That's a decent guitar. If it brings back memories, then even better! I think they were solid spruce tops. They were starter guitars, but fairly well made if I remember correctly.

If you don't play it much, then try some elexer 11's. They're expensive but they last longer when they sit and not get played. They don't oxidize as fast. I like D'Addario nano coated strings, too. They're a bit cheaper and I like the sound.
    I wouldn't put 12 gauge on that guitar, as their necks can be strained with the heavier gauge strings.

I've been playing some acoustic gigs lately and I like John Pease Strings, too.
    I change strings a lot if I'm playing out, so I don't use the coated strings if I change them weekly.

Good luck, man,,, and good to see you, sennin!!!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I need some new strings on my acoustic.......
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    give me your guitar
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    miskin wrote:
    give me your guitar

He brings up a good point.

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    He brings up a good point.

....and this is?
  • Martin strings? I dunno, check the store and see what they got.

yeah martin strings are very nice. silk and steels are what i use. i dunno if any of you guys have arthritis problems, but for me martins really ease up the pressure on my fingers.
    that's faarkokte.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    John Pearce Strings.

'Nuff said.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm cleaning out my Strat next week after final exams, then I'm going to pop some new elixers on. Can't wait!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Novawind wrote:
    ...elixers...

Ewwww.

:p JK! Whatever works, my brotha!
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Ewwww.

:p JK! Whatever works, my brotha!

yeah i dont like them at all, infact i broke 4/6 strings in two jam sessions. I play the D'Addario Light (orange pack) they are good, never let me down.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I've got Fender Super bullets on there right now, and pretty much anything is an improvement. My friend Hermyn uses elixers and I really like smooth sliding.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    sennin wrote:
    ....and this is?

Lol, I was just joking :):)

Shoulda put some ;);)'s

.NJD.
  • yeah i dont like them at all, infact i broke 4/6 strings in two jam sessions. I play the D'Addario Light (orange pack) they are good, never let me down.
    for some reason the D'Addario is the only brand my little music shop carries..

they're more of a 'band class' shop (family owned too) but they're incredibly cool, so i buy all i can from them.

but i prefer the ernie balls and martins.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ha ha! I found a pack in my mess o stuff,,, D'Addario EXP 11's are the ones I was talking about.

They have a slight coating on them, so it doesn't dampen the sound much, and they last longer without corroding.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

They last a long time and they don't sound too bad. I don't care for the way they record in my hands, though.