habbit?

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
moster78 wrote:
Thats a good deal. Amazing how quickly one's collection grows!

haha. I know! :p

A few weeks ago I had 0 guitars. Now I have 3! And possibly 4 (kids guitar was offered to me)!!! A&L Cedar, Yamaha 410 & Mexi Tele......

am i developing a guitar habbit?

I haven't even played this thing yet....hell, I don't even have an amp, and I'm already thinking about p-90's, pick guards, getting a hardshell case....

:p

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here....but I'm really excited!

Any suggestions on pickups? amps? a rock n roll lifestyle?

:D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    There's worse habits than GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). As long as you can afford it, who cares? Do what makes you happy.

I'd say get an amp first, then worry about changing anything out. You may like it just the way it is. I can't really make a recommendation, other than what I have, which is a Fender Blues Junior. Its 15 Watts, Tube. Great variation in tone, once you play around with it, which I've been doing a lot lately.

As far as a lifestyle, just rock.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    sennin wrote:
    haha. I know! :p

A few weeks ago I had 0 guitars. Now I have 3! And possibly 4 (kids guitar was offered to me)!!! A&L Cedar, Yamaha 410 & Mexi Tele......

am i developing a guitar habbit?

I haven't even played this thing yet....hell, I don't even have an amp, and I'm already thinking about p-90's, pick guards, getting a hardshell case....

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here....but I'm really excited!

Any suggestions on pickups? amps? a rock n roll lifestyle?

Ha ha!!!! I think you're on the right track, Sennin!
    I used to do this for a living so maybe I can help.

Yup,,, so what you need to do now is to get some P-90's in that next guitar. The SG.

You probably want to get a Fishman bridge pickup for the Yamaha with a good preamp, and for the A&L,, run an internal mike and blender to the piezo pick up.

Take the Tele and put Lindy Fralin stock or blues pickups with new capacitors and a 4 way switch.

Next,, you'll need a Les Paul. I say a 60 Classic because they are really well built for the price, and throw a set of Seymour Duncan 57's or antiquities on it.

Your Strat, hmmm, American Deluxe is about right for you,

Get a marshall stack for sure, and a Mesa Boogie Mark I, maybe a Fender Deluxe Reverb to round out your sound palette.

Ok,,, now,,,

It's time to talk tour busses.
    Make sure you get air ride and remember,,,, never take a dump in the tour bus bathroom or you'll be kicked out of the band!
    Stake out the lower bunk toward the middle of the bus.
    Learn how to wake up and try to figure out what city you're in, because you DO forget! Either that, or learn not to really CARE what city you're in, just where to get coffee and breakfast.
    Learn to go though life in this sort of hazy, fuzzy, lack of sleep induced semi-coma until you walk out on stage. Then everything feels good for a few hours, then comes the post show party:

Ok,,,, Girls! Ha ha!! Well, the last I heard,,, I think you were doing just fine in that department! :cool:

There you go! You're in!!!

Oh, one other word of advice:

Don't waste that small amount of money (compared to what we spend on equipment!) on lessons or actually learning to play! ;)

Good luck, Sennin!

Actually ,in reality, if you can play a little bit,,, you oughta get a Roland Microcube amp. They're like a hundred bucks and there are all kinds of sounds and they are tiny and fun to play. Great starter amp.

And take some lessons,,, you'll get get better much faster that way!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

so far....I have the hazy lack of sleep....I need a cocktail.....thing down.

....btw, my fingers smell like steel strings.

I'm getting lessons lined up this week. I called a few people last week.....now I just have to "do it".

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll go to the shop with a grip of cash to get me a strat, an SG, and 24 new pickups.

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Yeah, you get used to the finger smell!

Totally forgot about the Micro Cube. I have one that I leave at my parents house so I can plug into something when I go there. Great little practice amp, can get pretty damn loud in its own right, has tons of different sounds and built in effects, all for the low low price of about $125.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    you oughta get a Roland Microcube amp.

My buddy has the 30 Watt Cube....I'm not sure if that's the same one but it's a great little amp....you really can get tons of sounds and tones out of it :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    never thought you'd.......
  • brain of c wrote:
    never thought you'd.......
    dun duna dun duna dun

do-do-do-do-dodo...

habit has one b ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    dun duna dun duna dun

do-do-do-do-dodo...

habit has one b ;)

I was talking about hats that nuns wear.

• hahaha

nuns are naturally funny..

nature's clowns..

like monkeys.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"