Scratchy pickup switch

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have an 85 strat and the switch is getting really scratchy. replace it or what's the best fix?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sennin wrote:
    I have an 85 strat and the switch is getting really scratchy. replace it or what's the best fix?

contact cleaner/lubricant. I use Caig Deoxit.

If you find a quick drying formula that's usually best, so it dosen't drip all over the place.

You can probably get some at Frys Electronics or Radio Shack what have you or a music store.

http://www.caig.com/

just spray it on and operate it a few times, that should clean up the dust.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • sennin wrote:

how about a pickup on an epiphone les paul? same solution?
    www.cluthelee.com
    how about a pickup on an epiphone les paul? same solution?

The pickup itself is scratchy or the pots and the switch?

I'd spray the inside of the pots and the switch and the contact first and see if that helps get rid of some corrosion.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The pickup itself is scratchy or the pots and the switch?

I'd spray the inside of the pots and the switch and the contact first and see if that helps get rid of some corrosion.

The contacts on the switch. It plays fine...but when I switch the switch it scratches.
    sennin wrote:
    The contacts on the switch. It plays fine...but when I switch the switch it scratches.

ok, just spray the contact cleaner inside the switch and try to get it on all the moving parts, that should fix it.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yup, this stuff works great (been using it for years): click: CAIG DeoxIT
    You can typically find it at most decent Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores.
    However, some of their smaller chains might not have it in stock anymore.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Sennin! You're playing it!
    I can't find that thread where we fixed up the strat, but glad to see you're using it.

Yes, Deoxit is great. It is the magic spray which fixes anything! It's the WD-40 of the electronic world. Pull the pickguard off and spray the contacts on the switch, and get all the pots while you're at it, too.
    If it DOESN'T work, then:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Lever-action_Pickup_Switches.html

You want a 5 way switch. You could probably get one at Guitar Center. You probably aren't going to need one, though.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Yes, Deoxit is great. It is the magic spray which fixes anything! It's the WD-40 of the electronic world. Pull the pickguard off and spray the contacts on the switch, and get all the pots while you're at it, too.
    If it DOESN'T work, then:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Lever-action_Pickup_Switches.html

You want a 5 way switch. You could probably get one at Guitar Center. You probably aren't going to need one, though.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=233640

:D

THANKS!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    sennin wrote:

Haha, I typed a lot in that thread! I guess we never followed up, but it sounds like you're playing that Strat, though!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart