Comments

• Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Holy fuck!! :eek: :eek:

That's beautiful!!!

Is it actually $200,000?!?!?!?
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    hahaha!

and the reserve isn't met yet!

:eek:
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    More importantly, why put a $200,000 guitar on grass?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That guitar would sell for $200k all day long. They're pulling about a quarter million these days.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    That guitar would sell for $200k all day long. They're pulling about a quarter million these days.

he's 100% right, especially if they have a nice finish to them. My unckle has a 1967 les paul, GOLDTOP. in mint condition (the treble/rythem plastic knob is cracked, thats it). He bought it for 800 bucks in a pawn shop in the late 70's i believe. My geuss at value is at least 50,000, who knows though, to a collecter it coudl go for more. It will be mine one day i suppose, i feel so good playing it, it just roars. I should mention he has a all original 73 strat, original larivee made in the firts shop (garage i believe) and they recently tried to purchase it off him when he sent it in for repairs, for a high 5 figure number, being its a peice of thier history. He has a Guild X175, it goes on, he has alot of classics. The 67 gold top by far the most valueable though.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    Goldtops are heating up. It might be able to pull more like 100k if it's completely stock. some people are buying goldtops and doing refin's on them to sell as bursts...and getting 100k + all day long...on a refin!

Nuts I say. You can get a Gustavsson for 7k that will get you 95% of the way to a real 58 or 59 LP as far as tone goes. That's the word from guys I know who own both. Gustavsson has "cracked the code" so to speak, but his guitars will set you back 7-8k + a year wait.

http://www.jgguitars.com/frame.html
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Hell: I could definately get a REALLY REALLY NICE strat or LP special for under $3000, that does most all of what I want it to for 5% of the price. Good God. As much as I love them too, they're just guitars.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ha ha!! I had to do a double take!

I sold one of them a couple of years ago! My first guitar was that very one. I paid $250 for it in '66? and my dad was pissed that I paid that much for a guitar. They were just used guitars then.. Now they're antiques!!

I guess I am too! :eek:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Sennin, after i win some $$$ on Jeopardy....well, we'll see dear.

:D
    Rarghstarfarian.
    It's all the doctors, lawyers, and foreign collectors that are driving the vintage market. Hell, even the new boutique market is loaded with guys who don't blink at dropping 5-10k on a maybe. I see it all of the time.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Ha ha!! I had to do a double take!

I sold one of them a couple of years ago! My first guitar was that very one. I paid $250 for it in '66? and my dad was pissed that I paid that much for a guitar. They were just used guitars then.. Now they're antiques!!

I guess I am too! :eek:

!!!!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    sennin wrote:

!!!!

I had a '57 goldtop and a 58 almost exactly like that one you're about to buy! :D

They were great guitars, but not THAT great. Everyone thinks that the wood is aged and the quality is unsurpassed on those, but I've played a lot better. They were inconsistant, so really, the ones that sound great are being played, and the ones that didn't are being sold for a quarter million bucks! Mine didn't sell for nearly that much. :(
    The market has exploded for those in the last few years.
    It's kind of funny, a lot of people want that Eric Clapton '59 Les Paul Blues Breakers tone, and want the "59 Les Paul with all that aged wood. Really, though, the guitar was 8 years old when he made the album, so you need a '99 Les Paul! :D
    Ok, well, maybe not,,,, but cool theory!

I love the cheapo and obscure guitars now.
    This is one of my favorites that I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7405950073&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Sounds great, and LOOKS weird too! :cool:

All for $167! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Bob, my friend found a guitar very similar to that one, but it was a Fiama, almost the exact same body and pickup layout, with all the weird switches at the top. Thing was rusted to all hell from sitting in his parents basement, but it still plays.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I had a '57 goldtop and a 58 almost exactly like that one you're about to buy! :D

They were great guitars, but not THAT great. Everyone thinks that the wood is aged and the quality is unsurpassed on those, but I've played a lot better. They were inconsistant, so really, the ones that sound great are being played, and the ones that didn't are being sold for a quarter million bucks! Mine didn't sell for nearly that much. :(
    The market has exploded for those in the last few years.
    It's kind of funny, a lot of people want that Eric Clapton '59 Les Paul Blues Breakers tone, and want the "59 Les Paul with all that aged wood. Really, though, the guitar was 8 years old when he made the album, so you need a '99 Les Paul! :D
    Ok, well, maybe not,,,, but cool theory!

I love the cheapo and obscure guitars now.
    This is one of my favorites that I just got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7405950073&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Sounds great, and LOOKS weird too! :cool:

All for $167! :D

Hi Bob, That's why I like custom shops like the aformentioned JG so much. We are players, we wan't players. It dosen't matter if it's 200 bucks or 200,000 bucks we all have the tone we want in our head. Collectors, have that image of Clapton in their heads and that feeling of history attached to the instrument. Tone dosen't really care. I love the guy that spends his vacation recovering 1800 year old cyprus, Pine, mahogany, rosewood, ash...etc from the bottom of lakes to come up dry them out and maticulously craft them into their image of the finest playing guitar you've ever had in your hands based on 40 years of dedication and love of the instrument. The mojos in your hands not the instrument, although it does make a difference sometimes mentally :D It's just awesome when you find one that really resonates and rings out when you strum it. I love the old look and feel as much as the next guy but the prices are getting kind of silly. I sure wish I could swing spending 2 grand on a Trussart Rusty tele without feeling silly, but at the same time your $250 then is probably $2500 now so I guess it's all relative ;)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.