Started guitar lessons!

2»

Comments

• Good to hear..people who put it away in the case and want to keep it new aren't going to get good. your first guitar should always be in eyes view..I have logged thousands of hours of practice during commercials or waiting for friends to stop by etc... it works..
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, I did this with my first git, dragged it around everywhere and played constatnyly., still do actually, my acoustic is always out, usually in teh car, so I can play at lunch time if I get a chance, and I have an electric out on a stand all the time, so I can opick it up and do scalses or whatever.
    Really good to play in short bursts sometimes, stops your fingers getting too fatigued.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    anyone have some scales I can practice tonight?
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    sennin wrote:
    anyone have some scales I can practice tonight?

Have you learned the pentatonic scale yet?
    Drew263 wrote:
    Have you learned the pentatonic scale yet?

Yeah, I've learned a few measures of Em pentatonic. My teacher tabbed out the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions.
    I found that learning all modes of Em really good, but don't go off a tab.
    Learn the scale,, it's real easy, only one sharp, E F# G A B C D E.
    Then start on F# and play it finding the note positions yourself, three notes per string, and saying the note names out loud as you go. This will not only teach you the modes, also teach you teh notes on teh fretboard. Then do teh same thing from G, then A etc.
    I did this, and I am musically stupid with a dumbass left brain that is always trying to take over and spoil things, so I'm sure you can.
  • I'm actually starting lessons in the next week or so, I'm pretty damn excited. I know a little stuff like transitioning between G, A, Am, D, C, and Em chords, but thats' pretty much it. Learned it form video.

So any suggestions before I start lessons?
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
    Chromatic scale, just any four notes in a row, starting on an E string and working your way across teh fetbaord, great basic training, co-ordinates left and right hands, sounds too simple to be useful, but it is such a valuable exercise. Basically treaches you to sterr your fingers.
    Do it starting on all frets up and down the neck, teaches you about fret spacings as well.
  • AnjjAnjj Posts: 4
    It always gets worse before it gets better especially to your own ears because everybody just wants to be able to play like their idols? I have problems playing in front of people n I have NO idea how to overcome that????
    Anjj wrote:
    It always gets worse before it gets better especially to your own ears because everybody just wants to be able to play like their idols? I have problems playing in front of people n I have NO idea how to overcome that????

Keep playing in front of people! Friends, family, whatever.
  • AnjjAnjj Posts: 4
    sennin wrote:
    Keep playing in front of people! Friends, family, whatever.

Thanx, I played in front of my friend the other night WITHOUT the jack daniels. Scary...... The nerves just get the better of me all the time. Got an exam tomoz and Ive been working really hard but the nerves will just get the better once agian????
    Black Magic Woman

Went through the entire song with my instructor yesterday. I've made it through the opening solo.....the rest is going to take some work! lol.

I need to work on the bends.....I usually don't go far enough.

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Pretty easy song....actually played lead while my instructor played rhythm on this one!

Wind Cries Mary

We tabbed this one out.....I might have a few questions on this one, I really haven't worked on it much.
  • Nice songs for bending. The solo for Wind Cries Mary is one of my favorites.

It takes an ear to bend to the right place. Bending is a great tool, though. When you're soloing and you hit a sour note,,,, just bend it to a good one! Then do it again so people think you knew what you were doing. :D

Try bending to the note you want in front of guitar tuner and it'll tell you if you're right or not!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

It takes an ear to bend to the right place. Bending is a great tool, though. When you're soloing and you hit a sour note,,,, just bend it to a good one! Then do it again so people think you knew what you were doing. :D

Try bending to the note you want in front of guitar tuner and it'll tell you if you're right or not!

Good ideas! Especially the faking it part! :p
    Bending well is something that takes time, I'm definitely still working on it.
    Try doing unison bends eg fret 12 fret on E string, and bending 15th fret on B string to the same pitch. When the bend is correct, the 'wah wah wah' harmonic difference will disappear.
    Also try a full-tone bend, then slide up 2 fret and voice the note you were trying to bend to and see how you went, tehn slide done to the bend again and try to match teh memeory you just created. Keep moving between the two position, ferttin teh note, then bending to it. You will find that quickly, that tendency to not bend far enough will resolve.