1985 Strat

Comments

• I've been trying to learn photoshop elements. haha

senninsguitar.jpg
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The sleeve nut was loose. I still don't have all my tool here, I need to get that thing tight....but I have no sockets here!
  • sennin wrote:
    The sleeve nut was loose. I still don't have all my tool here, I need to get that thing tight....but I have no sockets here!

No problem, then! You can fix that from outside the guitar. Just a 1/2 inch socket wrench. you can out a lock washer on it if it keeps happening. That's an easy one!

Any luck with the roller saddles? Sometimes if you keep some oil and lighter fluid combo on there it finally soaks in. If not, I predict new saddles in the future. There are lots of different parts out there. It doesn't even have to be a roller. Graph Tech makes all kinds of replacement parts.
    Be kind, man

Any luck with the roller saddles? Sometimes if you keep some oil and lighter fluid combo on there it finally soaks in. If not, I predict new saddles in the future. There are lots of different parts out there. It doesn't even have to be a roller. Graph Tech makes all kinds of replacement parts.

1 roller is free....1 roller spins, but needs some work....the last roller is still pretty sticky....
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I don't see any numbers on the pickups.....I even took one totally off.

Now 5 of the 6 rollers spin free.....the last one is stuck. I'll let the oil soak in a bit and try it again later.
  • sennin wrote:
    1 roller is free....1 roller spins, but needs some work....the last roller is still pretty sticky....

Cool! What brand of olive oil did you use? :D
    It'll free up if it moves at all, now. The only thing the rollers are really spinning for is to actually stay in one place under the string when the tremolo and bridge body rotate back and forth when you use the trem bar. That way it's not rubbing and fatiguing the metal on the strings so much. If it gets to moving enough, spin it until you find a good spot to lay the string into and that's where you keep it when you put the strings on.
    Be kind, man

Ok! All of them are rolling!!!

:D
  • sennin wrote:
    Arbequina :p

Ok! All of them are rolling!!!

:D

Arbequina! The guitarist choice! It goes great with a little italian bread, too. :D

Nice!

Time to string that thing up!
    You can handle that, I guess. I don't think there's anything tricky about those trems.

Ok, something I just thought of, too.
    Open your tremolo arm package carefully, and make sure it fits. That's not a traditional Strat tremolo and you may need to take it back. I don't know, though.

Then, of course, play it!

Then we adjust the neck and string action at the bridge saddles, the tremolo springs and height, and intonation, then the pickup height and rock out. :cool: That shouldn't be too hard now that everything is moving.
    Be kind, man
  • With those tuners, I usually pull the string through the hole and grab it with two fingers about the distance of two and a half tuning posts. Then I push the string back in the hole and crimp the pinced end on the post. Then wrap one wrap over the post with the string coming from the bridge, then pull it tight and wind that sucker on. That gives about three wraps on the post.

The bridge will pull up as all the strings go on as the tension on the string picks up.

I can never figure out how to describe stringing on the internet!

You're on you own on that one! :D
    Be kind, man

Nice!

You can handle that, I guess. I don't think there's anything tricky about those trems.

Ok, something I just thought of, too.
    Open your tremolo arm package carefully, and make sure it fits. That's not a traditional Strat tremolo and you may need to take it back. I don't know, though.

Then, of course, play it!

Then we adjust the neck and string action at the bridge saddles, the tremolo springs and height, and intonation, then the pickup height and rock out. :cool: That shouldn't be too hard now that everything is moving.

Trem fits. ;)

Going to start stringing up.....dinner might run in to that though....

Thanks for all the help so far Bob!
  • sennin wrote:
    Trem fits. ;)

Going to start stringing up.....dinner might run in to that though....

Thanks for all the help so far Bob!

My pleasure!
    I hope the instructions are clear enough.

Excellent! Enjoy dinner. And congratulations on your new place! Jams there, too?

Either way, tell her I said Hi!

I'm off to bed with the damn flu. :mad:
    Have a good night, and I'll be around tomorrow, later.
    One thing when youhave a chance, too. If you get a head on shot of that bridge. I want to make sure I can see all the screws and nuts to make sure it's theone I'm thinking.

Well, cheers, man!
    Be kind, man

Dinner's on! Salmon tonight.

nite....get better!

Strings go on when I get home!
  • sennin wrote:
    Strings go on when I get home!

Alright!!! Rocking the new pad tonight! Are the neighbors ready for this?
    Be kind, man

Sounds MUCH better......feels better too.

...but....

Time to eat!

Have a new 50 Rock Licks, and 50 Blues licks DVD.....maybe I'll get in to that tonight!
  • sennin wrote:
    Sounds MUCH better......feels better too.

...but....

Time to eat!

Have a new 50 Rock Licks, and 50 Blues licks DVD.....maybe I'll get in to that tonight!

Cool!!

Play around with it, and have fun! If you get time maybe take a pic of the bridge straight on and I can make sure it's the one I'm thinking it is, and if you want to adjust the action and all,,, we can do that. See howeth it rocketh your world for now, though!

Also, adjusting the pickups can tweak it. Press the string at the last fret (nearest the pickup) and the pickup should be at about 1/8th inch from string at the bass side, and 3/32 from the treble side. That's where the factory usually says, then you can find the sweet spot from there. A little bit can make a big difference!

Congratulations on taking apart and fixing and putting back together your guitar,,,,,

haha,,, and having it still work!!! That doesn't always happen! :D
    Be kind, man
    Have a little buzz now.....not bad though, can't hear it through the amp.

Whaddya use for the buzz? White or Red Shiraz? :D

When you have the strings off for a while, the neck backbows, so you'll tend to have buzzing strings for a bit, or that's when it'll show the most if it's going to, and then the strings pull the neck forward after they're tuned up until if finds it's equilibrium. Haha,,, I used a few of them big ol' 50 cent words in this thread! :cool:
    That may take an hour or take a day. It depends how much your guitar likes you! :)
    Be kind, man

Now I just need to find time to actually play.........
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    sennin wrote:
    :p

Now I just need to find time to actually play.........

HAHAHA!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Reminder....

head shot of bridge......
  • Nice pics! That is a floyd rose! You did a nice job of shining up those rollers, too!

I'll write you up a set up tip for that, but in the meanwhile, I found a "how to" video that show's how to loosen up all those rusty and stuck parts on a Strat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBbjKazm53A
    Be kind, man

I'll write you up a set up tip for that, but in the meanwhile, I found a "how to" video that show's how to loosen up all those rusty and stuck parts on a Strat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBbjKazm53A

HAHA! How do you think I shined them up so well??

:p
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Very nice, I've been following your progress. Great to see the cool result.
    Music is not a competetion.