Takamine.....

senninsennin Posts: 2,146
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is it just me....or is everyone using Takamine acoustics live?? Well....maybe not PJ.

But it seems like every show I go to, every DVD I watch, every concert on MTV Live.....if there's an acoustic on stage, it's a Takamine.

Are they hounding artists to play thier acoustic/electrics (ie throw money at them), or are they THAT GOOD?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Takamine's are my personal fav acoustic guitar.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Takamine's are pretty nice. My friend has a Jasmine by Takamine(like Squier by Fender). Anyway, they're pretty nice.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • They're economical, too: both six and twelve strings.

The guitar I'd love to have is the Fylde Magician, but I'll wait until I have ridiculous amounts of expendable wealth, before investing.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    They are def. nice guitars.

I would still prefer a Taylor or a Martin any day!
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I prefer my Fender starter...mainly because I'd be too afraid to break a Takamine or Martin.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My dad got a Tak 12 in the late 70s because some dude didn't have enough money to buy his Marshall.

The thing is fuckin sweet! It's dinged up a fair bit, but damn...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    got a takamine 12 string.....bought it cuz the only acoustic/electric 12 string i could find after looking at 5 different stores.......everyone says its the best 12 string they've played
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    got a takamine 12 string.....bought it cuz the only acoustic/electric 12 string i could find after looking at 5 different stores.......everyone says its the best 12 string they've played

Seagulls are maybe a better balance of quality and affordability than Takamines, I think, in the 12-string department.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Seagulls are maybe a better balance of quality and affordability than Takamines, I think, in the 12-string department.
    I'm looking at the Seagulls for my next acoustic.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    Taks tend to work well when plugged in, which is why they have a large following for live music. Taylors are catching up in this area.

However, I know some artists that play Taks or Taylors live play different guitars on their recorded version since they have the ability to tweak the sound.

Personally, I love the sound of a Mic'ed Martin... they have amazing bass response and cut through in the mids well too.
  • frenchs wrote:
    Taks tend to work well when plugged in, which is why they have a large following for live music. Taylors are catching up in this area.

However, I know some artists that play Taks or Taylors live play different guitars on their recorded version since they have the ability to tweak the sound.

Personally, I love the sound of a Mic'ed Martin... they have amazing bass response and cut through in the mids well too.

I have a 12-string jumbo Sigma that must date back a few years before I bought it second (or third?) hand, in 1990. I mic that up for gigs. The sound is pretty powerful down in the bass, and is gorgeous for fingerpickin'.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Tak is a great value guitar for live play. In my opinion Taylors edge them in every category but they are far more expensive. Thus the popularity of the very nice sounding Tak's like the Santa Fe which one can get in the thousand dollar and less range.

Throw in a sound hole cover for feedback production and a good DI and you're ready to gig with a Tak. Plugged in they sound great.

My personal opinion is that HD28's D35's etc. mic'd sound best but Micing isn't all that convenient and it ties you into a particular spot, great for the studio, not so great performing.

The Taylor 814ce is probably my favorite. But The Tak Santa Fe is one of the better value acoustics for playing live ever invented, I think some of them even have tuners.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Taylor 814ce is probably my favorite. But The Tak Santa Fe is one of the better value acoustics for playing live ever invented, I think some of them even have tuners.

I haven't played the 814ce.
    My next purchase will probably be the 714ce. The minute I started playing that I was sold. I have played many, many acoustic guitars and the 714ce was just amazing!! The tone, the feel, the playability...wow!

Have you played the 714ce and how do you think it compares to the 814ce? If I'm dropping that kind of money I want to be sure I made the right decision.
    Also, I don't think I've ever even SEEN a 814ce in a store.
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
    I have a Takamine as well . Mine only set me back about $200 , but I love it. Someday would like a Taylor 5.
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Have the prices tripled since they became popular?

Someone at a music shop was telling me about them over a year ago.. they were like $700 new and I was told to buy them now because once they got popular they'd be selling for Guibson prices.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mca47 wrote:
    I haven't played the 814ce.
    My next purchase will probably be the 714ce. The minute I started playing that I was sold. I have played many, many acoustic guitars and the 714ce was just amazing!! The tone, the feel, the playability...wow!

Have you played the 714ce and how do you think it compares to the 814ce? If I'm dropping that kind of money I want to be sure I made the right decision.
    Also, I don't think I've ever even SEEN a 814ce in a store.

They are both outstanding guitars, at that point you're pretty much dealing with subtle differences. The 814's are Rosewood back and sides and spruce tops which I prefer.

The 714's have a lovely western red cedar top. It's a little warmer sound I believe. At one time you could also get the 714's with a walnut back and sides I think.

Fabulous guitar, once you get to all solid woods and supurb construction you're mainly dealing with preference and subtle differences.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.