Fixing reverb in an AMP...

aggietomaggietom Posts: 26
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
How exactly does one go about doing this? It seems like the plate is stuck. I've tried dropping the amp from a low point, but it won't budge.

Any other ideas?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    aggietom wrote:
    How exactly does one go about doing this? It seems like the plate is stuck. I've tried dropping the amp from a low point, but it won't budge.

Any other ideas?

I'm sorry I lost my concentration when you said "DROPPING THE AMP!!!!!"

DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!

Is it a plate reverb or a spring reverb?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • They told me it is a plate reverb. It is a cheap Peavey Blazer 158. Basically a starter amp with reverb. The reverb has never really worked.

Also...I didn't "drop" the amp...I just kinda took it an inch or two off the ground and let it go. Oh well.

Any ideas?
    aggietom wrote:
    They told me it is a plate reverb. It is a cheap Peavey Blazer 158. Basically a starter amp with reverb. The reverb has never really worked.

Also...I didn't "drop" the amp...I just kinda took it an inch or two off the ground and let it go. Oh well.

Any ideas?

it's probably digital meaning it ain't worth fixing.

however, it could be a loose ground somewhere internally.

If it has a tank, in the back somewhere, IE a metal box with a wire coming out of it and going back into the amp, then it's fixable you just need to remove the old reverb spring tank and put in a new one. Likely it's a digital copy of a plate reverb and it's unfixable sorry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Likely it's a digital copy of a plate reverb and it's unfixable sorry.

I doubt it. Plate 'verb has never been popular with guitars. It's most likely a spring-tank reverb.

What exactly is this "plate" you speak of? If this has Spring reverb (most common type in guitar amps), it's got a little aluminum box in the speaker cavity that has wires in and out of the amp section. Usually on RCA connectors. Is that what you're talking about? When it's on, and the reverb is turned up, kick it (not hard, just a good tap) on the side and see if it makes any funny noise...

Paco- you will probably never in your life see an actual plate reverb in a guitar amp. Plate reverb units are bulky and heavy... usually 1-2 feet on a side and 100+ pounds. They're big boxes with ionized plates inside... actually a similar concept to spring reverb, but much more mass for a much thicker, higher-fidelity sound. Which is why they're studio-only units. And why digital plate reverb is so fuckin' cool.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I doubt it. Plate 'verb has never been popular with guitars. It's most likely a spring-tank reverb.

What exactly is this "plate" you speak of? If this has Spring reverb (most common type in guitar amps), it's got a little aluminum box in the speaker cavity that has wires in and out of the amp section. Usually on RCA connectors. Is that what you're talking about? When it's on, and the reverb is turned up, kick it (not hard, just a good tap) on the side and see if it makes any funny noise...

Paco- you will probably never in your life see an actual plate reverb in a guitar amp. Plate reverb units are bulky and heavy... usually 1-2 feet on a side and 100+ pounds. They're big boxes with ionized plates inside... actually a similar concept to spring reverb, but much more mass for a much thicker, higher-fidelity sound. Which is why they're studio-only units. And why digital plate reverb is so fuckin' cool.

I've had the opportunity to see an actual plate reverb. In this old studio at the University of Toledo, they had this (dont' know if they still due, that was about 10 years ago). Took up an entire room. Very interesting and pretty cool actually.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I doubt it. Plate 'verb has never been popular with guitars. It's most likely a spring-tank reverb.

indeed. That's what I was getting at.

Aparently Hendrix's engineer used a plate reverb for Purple Haze.

I like them because they are cleaner than spring.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    indeed. That's what I was getting at.

Aparently Hendrix's engineer used a plate reverb for Purple Haze.

I like them because they are cleaner than spring.

I love plate reverb... very dark, boomy, clean...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.