Thoughts on adding drums electronically if you are a solo guitar-only musician?

aggietomaggietom Posts: 26
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm a mediocre guitarist interested in recording some of the songs I've written. I like to do about 3 guitar parts for every song, but it still sounds empty without drums or bass. I have an entry-level drumtrack machine that has alot of realistic-sounding drum kits. I was wondering if any has ever used one of these to record into software such as Guitar Studio through an SBPlatinum soundcard.

Have you had difficulty with it? Any tips so I don't have to work out all the bugs by myself?

Once again...This is really to satisfy my own creative pursuits, not for attempting to get a record deal. I just want to know if I should learn the type of drumming I want and try to play along with my pre-recorded guitar tracks or if I should attempt to create a loop and just repeat and then throw in a neat alternative whenever there is a turnaround or bridge/chorus, etc.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used a program called fruity loops to create simple drums loops for solo stuff. i like it a lot.

i wouldn't imagine it would be too tough to connect up the drum machine as as long as you've got the right connections.

having some sort of groove beyond a simple click track really helps to give the rest of the parts tightness and some swing....
  • do whatever you feel is best..

but know that electronic drums always sound terrible.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • aggietomaggietom Posts: 26
    Well then...What would be your solution for a guitar-only person wanting some drums on the track. Is it not better than nothing, in your opinion?

I just want something in the background other than a few layered guitars. The songs sound empty because they're not acoustic.
  • mooookmooook Posts: 8
    Go out and find a drummer, my advice.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I use a Zoom MRS802 and the drum machine has been a godsend while trying to do exactly what you are asking about. I use it to get ideas out of my head so I can layer other ideas on top, and the stuff I have recorded have come out great as far as I am concerned.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"