Individual effects pedals or multi effect unit?

bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I need some advice on what the best solution would be for getting some different sounds out of the guitar. I am completely tech illiterate but it seems like most people on here build their own pedal boards with individual effects pedals rather than using a multi effects device like the Line 6 POD x3 Live. Are the individual pedals less expensive or have better sound? What are the pros/cons of each. And what are some of the common effects pedals that no one should do without?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bootleg wrote:
    I need some advice on what the best solution would be for getting some different sounds out of the guitar. I am completely tech illiterate but it seems like most people on here build their own pedal boards with individual effects pedals rather than using a multi effects device like the Line 6 POD x3 Live. Are the individual pedals less expensive or have better sound? What are the pros/cons of each. And what are some of the common effects pedals that no one should do without?

Thanks
    Individual is best IMO. It allows you to be more diverse and customize each detail on the effect. Also, it's easier to use on the fly, especially at shows. Multi effects are good for beginners but I'm all for individual. Yeah, usually individual effects sound better than the copies on the multi boards. There is no pedal one should do without-it's all about taste. I have a ton of pedals on my board (just ask the people on this forum...especially PJ_gurl) but that's what fits my style. You'll pay more in the end for good individual effects but it's worth it IMO. They take of up space on the board though and you'll need patch cords and power supplies. One pedal I HIGHLY suggest you buy is a tuner. There's been many discussions on which one-I prefer the BOSS TU-2. As for others, it all depends on your style. For the PJ sound, you'll want an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer or a BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver (I like the BOSS more-it's more versatile). As for others, a wah pedal, vibe unit (rotovibe, rotosphere, BBE Soulvibe, or a chorus pedal) help nail the sound for Mike's solos. Maybe a delay a little later. Get the basics first, though. Tuner and then an overdrive. I don't know your set up or desired sound but I hope this helps.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    Awesome thanks for the info. I guess I should have mentioned that yes I was looking for something similar to the PJ sound, but would also like to experiment with different sounds. I've alsways been hesitant to buy different pedals cuase I never really knew which effect I was looking for. These recommendations look like a good place to start.
  • bootleg wrote:
    Awesome thanks for the info. I guess I should have mentioned that yes I was looking for something similar to the PJ sound, but would also like to experiment with different sounds. I've alsways been hesitant to buy different pedals cuase I never really knew which effect I was looking for. These recommendations look like a good place to start.
    I'm sure many people will add to this BUT...

If you can, try pedals at a guitar shop. Anyway, pedals PJ uses and essential to the PJ sound...

MXR Phase 90 (I have the Digitech Hyper phase. It sucks tone but I like it's sound)
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer (I have the TS-5)
    BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver (I had this on my board but sold it to my friend...I rarely used it because I have a tone of pedals on my board but I'd recommend it before the tubescreamer)
    Crybaby Wah (I love mine, and Mike's had the crybaby 535q on his board)
    Dunlop JD-4S Rotovibe (You can see this on Mike's board during the TEN era. I love mine).
    Depending on what you want, most delays should do you well. I have the DD6 and the Digitech Digidelay. Mike and Stone use the Line 6 DL4(more than you'll need, right now) but there's also some analog delays.

I still suggest a BOSS TU2 Tuner to be the first pedal you get, though.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You'll probably want to get individual pedals . . .
    Individuals pedals, & maybe try a TC-Electronic G-Force or G-System.
    Being able to use a combination of a TC-Electronic and a few individual
    stomps is great. Unfortunately it's not always that easy (a few factors
    being: practicality, space, and cost). Racks aren't easy without having
    a tech to fix issues and diagnose things - and of coarse having roadies
    to carry everything and set everything up for you really helps too).
    If a combination of TC and Stomps is unfeasible, just go with stomps.

Try to stay far away from Line-6 & Digitech Multi-Effects. They suck!!
    Actually, the only halfway decent Line-6 out there is their 4-Modeler
    series (DL4, MM4, FM4, etc). Digitech also has a new line of individual
    stomps called HardWire which aren’t bad - everything else really sucks.
    Basically stay away from everything else made by Digitech and Line-6.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • How long have you been playing?

Do you plan on playing at gigs or just playing at the house?

What is your budget?

In some cases individual pedals are the way to go but, they can be a pain in the ass. They either need batteries or you need to buy a seperate power supply. Then you need to daisy chain the power and buy all the cables. Meanwhile you can buy a little POD and get straight to playing.
  • I've always been an advocate of buying a cheap multieffects and then judging which of the effects you will actually use. Then sell the multi and buy decent individual stompboxes. Just never use a multieffects for distortion.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I find most multi-effects pedals to be worthless, especially if you need to change effects on the fly during a jam.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I find most multi-effects pedals to be worthless, especially if you need to change effects on the fly during a jam.
    +1
  • veddermanvedderman Posts: 801
    has anyone ever tried any of the zoom's multiefects? i've been looking at ZOOM G7.1ut but i will try it first. has anyone tried this model?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g71ut/
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    vedderman wrote:
    has anyone ever tried any of the zoom's multiefects? i've been looking at ZOOM G7.1ut but i will try it first. has anyone tried this model?

In your bedroom through "headphones" . . . fine (it'll work).
    But for playing in any kind of live situation . . . YUCK!
    Very few multi-effects units sound good through real amps.

Personally, T.C. Electronics are really the only multi-effects
    units I'd even consider - you run most of them with a midi
    controller (& only the floor based Nova System has an OD).
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=153002&base_pid=153004&base_pid=183020&base_pid=183030&base_pid=481880
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • All depends on what you need it for.

I myself strictly do individual effects. But I'm more of a overdrive and Fuzz person. I do have a tremolo pedal though.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • vedderman wrote:

Good for beginners