First acoustic guitar.....

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have an electric already (just an Epiphone SG copy, nothing special) but really want to get an acoustic, mainly so I can play when staying at my girlfriends place (riding a motorbike while carrying a guitar case might not be the best idea!)
Anyway, what are the main things I should be looking for in terms of features and construction, and also price...... I don't mind if I have to spend a bit extra to get something of decent quality (if quoting prices please include currency quoted), any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated........
I did see a Martinez the other day ($250 Aus), with a pickup and EQ etc.... which would be good, as I could then plug into my break out box/mixer and record thru my laptop, same as the electric...... but this isn't totally necessary.... just a bonus!
Thanks guys....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This is a common question, I'll do my best to answer.

There are several manufacturers that make nice affordable guitars.

Fender, Alvarez, Yamaha, Martin, Art & Lutherie(Godin) and Takamine, just to name a few.

If you're looking for something of decent quality make sure the guitar has a solid top. This will cost a little more, but makes a difference in the tone and quality of the instrument. Solid backs and sides are nice, but not as neccessary, and increase the price of the guitar substantially. Play acoustic for awhile and decide what you like before you fork up that much cash.

If you're looking for something more portable you might want to consider getting a smaller bodied guitar. It won't be as bassy and MAYBE not as loud as a d size, but they can still be great sounding guitars. All I have is a dreadnaught right now and I would like a smaller bodied guitar. Look at the Art & Lutherie website for a good example, though a lot of companies build them.

As far as electronics go, I think all of those builders make guitars with electronics. I'm not sure about the martin's though. Takamine kinda has a reputation of budget guitars with nice electronics. I've heard some fenders that were ok and I've heard one Art & lutherie that was ok. I can't remember the last time I heard an Alvarez or a Yamaha, but they're going to be about the same with other guitars in the price range. None of them will be mind blowing, but they'll all be pretty good. Certainly good enough.
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    For a good starter guitar.....look for an accoustic with a solid top. It will sound better and last longer. Guitars made with all laminate wood sound real shitty. A solid top is essential. The backs and sides can be laminate, and will likely be laminate unless you want to spend $1000 plus. You can get a good solid top I think for around $400-$500. It costs a bit more, but is worth it.

I have an Alvarez that I got in 1991. I just upgraded to a premium guitar this year, but still play my trusty Alvarez also. It is a good guitar, and still sounds good--I had a pickup installed and it sounds really good.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out the Taylor 110 and Big Baby.

Also look at the Cobalt series at http://www.carvin.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    check out the Taylor 110 and Big Baby.

I like the Big Baby, too... cozy, plays great, sounds good. Not too hard on the pocketbook, either.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    OK, so a solid top is a must..... I have seen some nice Yamaha acoustics at the shop I normally go to, so will go for another look today.....
    Thanks for the advice
  • Lukin4 wrote:
    OK, so a solid top is a must..... I have seen some nice Yamaha acoustics at the shop I normally go to, so will go for another look today.....
    Thanks for the advice

What kinda brands you have down there to choose from?

It's hard to recommend things if you have limited choices...

Some of the nicer Yamaha's are really great guitars, especially for the price.
    What kinda brands you have down there to choose from?

It's hard to recommend things if you have limited choices...

Some of the nicer Yamaha's are really great guitars, especially for the price.

Yeah, have seen some nice Yamaha's for about $300-$400 (Aus), the Martinez I mentioned in the first post is not a solid top. The same place has another Martinez, solid top electric/acoustic with 4 band EQ, presence, volume and freq, plus a hard case thrown in for $450 (Aus). Have seen the same guitar at other shops for $500 without a case, so am seriously considering that option. Will be going for another look tomorrow at a couple of shops up in Brisbane, so should see a bit more of a range, but the main brands seem to be Yamaha, Maton, Ibanez, Martinez or Epiphone....
  • Lukin4 wrote:
    the main brands seem to be Yamaha, Maton, Ibanez, Martinez or Epiphone....

I'm not familiar with Maton or Martinez. Yamaha and Ibanez are pretty close, but you should be able to find a decent guitar in the Epiphone line. Their acoustics tend to be pretty nice.
  • i love my martin
  • I am gonna say fender. I am no expert on acoustic guitars but I paid 600 Canadian (450 US) for my fender DG 20 CE. It has a very capable fishman pickup in it with equalizer and a solid spruce top. The thing is gorgeous and really shines as I improve. It really sounds amazing when you pund the chords out. Like really lay into it. It is a dreadnaught so can be pretty loud. I do not find it to be to bassy as some people seem to find dreadnoughts. Anyway there is also a 22CE a 16CE etc. I think those 2 both have solid spruce tops too. I say give fender a look just based on my great experience. In my opinion Yamaha makes some butt ugly guitars. But that is just one thing you have to decide. Play many before you buy!!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I am gonna say fender.

...Play many before you buy!!

Fender's acoustics used to SUCK. Like, really bad.

But in the last two or three years, they've really turned around...

Their new guitars, especially their NEX-body guitars, are actually really nice, and the electronics are pretty good.

That last part, though, is key: Try a lot of guitars before you lay down. Different guitars (even different copies of the same model) have differences that will seem small on a stand, but huge in your hands. Ignore brand names, ignore prices, just play them... you may find that your ideal guitar is a $150 used no-name guitar... or a $3,000 Gibson...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Fender's acoustics used to SUCK. Like, really bad.

But in the last two or three years, they've really turned around...

Their new guitars, especially their NEX-body guitars, are actually really nice, and the electronics are pretty good.

That last part, though, is key: Try a lot of guitars before you lay down. Different guitars (even different copies of the same model) have differences that will seem small on a stand, but huge in your hands. Ignore brand names, ignore prices, just play them... you may find that your ideal guitar is a $150 used no-name guitar... or a $3,000 Gibson...

I 90% agree however I purchased a DG 22CE all maple (foto flame) with a fishman preamp and it's been excellent. Unfortunately it needs a recrown because I've warn the frets down to the nubs.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I 90% agree however I purchased a DG 22CE all maple (foto flame) with a fishman preamp and it's been excellent. Unfortunately it needs a recrown because I've warn the frets down to the nubs.

The only acoustic I currently own is the cheapest one Yamaha makes... it's got bad body damage and high action... but it has a great sound.

I'd still like a Webber OM-body and a mini-jumbo with a magnetic pickup.
  • I just got my first acoustic for Christmas, a Takamine. I love it.
  • yea i also got a yamaha thats been around for 15 or so years. great guitar.
  • I just bought a starter guitar for one of my nephews and looked around at a whole lot of them. I've been playing for years and have had probably a hundred different guitars over the years,,,, and I can't believe how good guitars are getting.
    They're designed with computer programs now, and cut with computer controlled machines. The fit and finish is getting better and better.
    I ended up getting a Washburn starter kit for 229 dollars. It has a spruce top and a built in electronic tuner and a gig bag. That guitar sounded as good as a baby taylor and a lot of takamines in the room. I looked at all the guitars in Sam Ash and Guitar Center just seeing what's up lately.
    Get a guitar with a spruce top,,,not laminate, for good sound. BUT,,,,,,what's happened lately is that the tops are so much different on the same brands. When the guitar is mass produced, it's more efficient to NOT grade out the good tops for better guitars, so they just plop them on as they come down the line. I opened up a whole bunch of prepackaged kits and found a huge difference in the grade of the tops and picked out one of the Washburns. This was true on the epiphone starter kits, Fender, etc.

A laminate top is actually better for a guitar that is just for knocking around. More durable, but I don't think the sound is all that great. It won't sound better as it ages as most spruce wood tops will.

There was also a really nice Canadian brand that started with a W,, I can't remember the name. Hmm,,, Sorry. I'll look it up. It was 489 dollars and sounded and played like a 1500 dollar Taylor. It had a cedar top. Watch out for cedar tops though, as they are softer and dent easier. Not great for "knocking around beach guitars" either

(the results of the latest research field trip by Who's_pearljam? :D )
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I just bought a starter guitar for one of my nephews and looked around at a whole lot of them. I've been playing for years and have had probably a hundred different guitars over the years,,,, and I can't believe how good guitars are getting.
    They're designed with computer programs now, and cut with computer controlled machines. The fit and finish is getting better and better.
    I ended up getting a Washburn starter kit for 229 dollars. It has a spruce top and a built in electronic tuner and a gig bag. That guitar sounded as good as a baby taylor and a lot of takamines in the room. I looked at all the guitars in Sam Ash and Guitar Center just seeing what's up lately.
    Get a guitar with a spruce top,,,not laminate, for good sound. BUT,,,,,,what's happened lately is that the tops are so much different on the same brands. When the guitar is mass produced, it's more efficient to NOT grade out the good tops for better guitars, so they just plop them on as they come down the line. I opened up a whole bunch of prepackaged kits and found a huge difference in the grade of the tops and picked out one of the Washburns. This was true on the epiphone starter kits, Fender, etc.

A laminate top is actually better for a guitar that is just for knocking around. More durable, but I don't think the sound is all that great. It won't sound better as it ages as most spruce wood tops will.

There was also a really nice Canadian brand that started with a W,, I can't remember the name. Hmm,,, Sorry. I'll look it up. It was 489 dollars and sounded and played like a 1500 dollar Taylor. It had a cedar top. Watch out for cedar tops though, as they are softer and dent easier. Not great for "knocking around beach guitars" either

(the results of the latest research field trip by Who's_pearljam? :D )

Thanks for the advice..... will actually be getting something today probably..... have been looking at those same starter kits (Yamaha do a nice one for about $300 Aus, looks and sounds great, and is easy to play).....
    My credit card is going to take one hell of a hit today though..... am getting some new Behringer gear (V Amp + UB802 mixer), an 80 GB external HD, as well as the acoustic....... so that all could max out somewhere around the $750 - 800 mark!
    Will post an update when I get back from my spending spree
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    after dropping my last acoustic down the stairs i went out with the money i had (not much) and got a fender dg-7. i think it was like $150-160. sounds really good for the money. i was really, really close to buying an ibanez with a solid spruce top for $199. the salesman damn near talked me into it. it sounded really good too! if i had the extra $50 i woulda gotten the ibanez.
  • There was also a really nice Canadian brand that started with a W,, I can't remember the name. Hmm,,, Sorry. I'll look it up. It was 489 dollars and sounded and played like a 1500 dollar Taylor. It had a cedar top. Watch out for cedar tops though, as they are softer and dent easier. Not great for "knocking around beach guitars" either

Not a Webber?

http://www.webberguitars.com/
  • i have a 99 dolla honer,hehe i love my guitar, even though its cheap:)... i have a washburn electric too, but i gotta get the switch fixed cause its f'in up. i reallly want an ovation, i like them.... someday when i have money...:)
    Dee Dee aka Beavis =)

"He's Alive but feels absolutely nothing, so is he?? I'm still Alive."

"Oh, I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.
    Yeah, I won't change direction and I won't change my mind... How much difference does it make? ...
    You gotta go with FENDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol i think i like my fender acoustic better than my electric!

Yup, might have to..... am looking at the Fender dreadnought (DG-14 SCE) acoustic-electric cutaway..... they are getting more in next week, so will go back to have another play, and will probably get it. Picked up the V Amp and the mixer yesterday.... love the V Amp, and haven't really tinkered with the mixer yet.... need some more cables and stuff to get it all wired up how i want