Eddie's Mic on SNL

Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone notice his mic on SNL?
It was very different from what he used to use. It had the foam top.
It looked like an 80's mic. Anyone know anything about this mics or we he would be using something like that?
PJ - 36
EV - 5
(**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    i think it was a Mr Microphone
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hard to know without seeing a pic, but my guess is either a Neumann KMS-105, or an Audix of some sort. Both are excellent live mic's that are widely used.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I'd say it's his usual Audix OM-7, or perhaps a Shure SM58, just with a windshield on. SNL probably insists singers use one to cut down on sibilance/plosives, just as they insisted on compressing the hell out of Mike's guitar - so they waveform LOOKS nice and tidy, regardless of how it sounds.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    biffhardon wrote:
    I'd say it's his usual Audix OM-7, or perhaps a Shure SM58, just with a windshield on. SNL probably insists singers use one to cut down on sibilance/plosives.

That's exactly it. It was a standard Audix OM-7, the mic he regularly uses, with a foam windscreen (referred to commonly as a "condom") to cut down on certain air-effects, like sibilance (hissing "S" sound) or plosives (popping "P" sound). It's hard to say if the SNL folks did that, or if it just sounded bad without it. TV is a hard medium to mix to.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.