Options

STrInG GAUge

MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
woT fiKNESS OF STRINgs do U gUys USE???

MONKEYNUTS USES 9'S Normally BuT de last SET HE HAD WIr 7's. DAY soUNDED WEAK as shiT WEN doiN pOWER COrds bUt U CUD DO soME VERY quIK SOLo shIt on iT

hes JUST GOT 11'S and his gUItar soUNDS AMAZIn wid dem But THE FUkers riP hIS FINgers tO bITS AND Its harDEr to plaY QUik and Do bends. IS ThIS NORMAl and wilL HIS FINgers ever GET USED TO IT???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    YeS
    I uSe TEns On LonGer ScAle,,,,oh fuck it,,,,

I use tens and elevens on Strats, ( long scale) and 11's on shorter scale, like PRS and Les Paul) You get use to it, and your fingers become stronger and grow tips that are crunchy on the outside, with a soft chewy interior! The tone is worth it
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    yeah I just threw ghs boomer 10s (trying these out from friendly advice given by McC and Exhausted and such.) i put them on my strat and they do have a good tone.

you need to get your finger callouses going Monkey. youll get used to it in no time.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    dya No woT ones hendriX OR Mike use???? MONKEYNUTS LUVS DIR SOund. HE ALSO loves sRv's fiK TOne but MONKEYNUTS WUd NEED A paiR OF STeel gLoVES TO plaY WID STRINgs that fIK
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i use GHS 11s on all of mine.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by MONKEYNUTS
    dya No woT ones hendriX OR Mike use???? MONKEYNUTS LUVS DIR SOund. HE ALSO loves sRv's fiK TOne but MONKEYNUTS WUd NEED A paiR OF STeel gLoVES TO plaY WID STRINgs that fIK

Mike Uses Boomers. 10's I believe but possibly thicker.

SRV used 13's and larger. The larger the guage the less likely the strings are to interact with each other improving your clean tone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Mike Uses Boomers. 10's I believe but possibly thicker.

SRV used 13's and larger. The larger the guage the less likely the strings are to interact with each other improving your clean tone.

also increases the output i believe.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    also increases the output i believe.

as does wrapping the lower strings with nickel alloy or pure nickle as many companies do, or cryofreezing strings etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I play GHS Boomers, and I try to get 11's when the local store has them in stock. Half the time, it's 10's just because that's all they have. You get used to it, MNuts. Plus, it makes you a better player in the end.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I use gauge 10 D'iadario
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D