Help on RVM

dman_49dman_49 Posts: 3
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm only just learning to play the guitar and can play the intro riff to RVM (but no where near the speed it should be played!!)

When you guys play it, do you pick on a downward motion all the time during it or up and down? I'm assuming up and down would make it easier to do quicker but just wantred to ask.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    Here's how I play it.

D-|
    A-|
    0--5h7
    E-|-5
    0---0--
    ----D---D--U---U--U
    D---U---

just find whatever is most comfortable for you. i've found that i can play it fastest this way.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • I play it down all the way. In my experience it's not worth switching cause it's only on 3 strings.

And don't worry about the speed yet. Just play it for comfort and play it perfectly while going slow. The speed will come.

Yoy have to be very comfortable with this riff before you can play it at speed. It's a very fast song.

Good luck and have fun !!!!

And like telesonic said do whatever feels easiest for you.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • dman_49dman_49 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys.... I can wait to get it down cause its and awesome riff!!
  • Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    I play it down all the way. In my experience it's not worth switching cause it's only on 3 strings.

And don't worry about the speed yet. Just play it for comfort and play it perfectly while going slow. The speed will come.

Yoy have to be very comfortable with this riff before you can play it at speed. It's a very fast song.

Good luck and have fun !!!!

And like telesonic said do whatever feels easiest for you.
    yup :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I suggest all downstrokes. That's just me though.
  • waldo22waldo22 Posts: 12
    i alternate every pick up and down, but i find that i'm alone on this a lot... it took me a while to be able to do it... and i still am not 100% clean all the time, but it's much more relaxed than the other ways...
    "I cut my hair and got really depressed and became a Republican. Then I did acid a couple of months later and realized I was an idiot." ~Mike
  • This song can be played on only the bottom two strings much easier, and is easier Down\Up stroked as well.

Rearview Mirror
    Pearl Jam (Vs)

Transcribed by:
    Bob Brockman (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:brockman@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu">brockman@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu</a><!-- e -->)

Intro riff:

A
    e|
    |
    B|
    |
    G|
    |
    D|
    |
    A|
    5---5-7
    |
    E|--5-5---5
    0-0--|

Verse:

A5 B5 A5
    e|
    | |
    | |
    |
    B|
    | |
    | |
    |
    G|
    | |
    | |
    |
    D|
    | |
    | |
    |
    A|
    5---5-7----| |
    7---7-9
    | |
    5---5-7
    |
    E|--5-5---5----0--| |--7-7---7----0-0--| |--5-5---5
    0-0--|

|<---- 4 times ---->| |<---- 8 times ---->| |<---- 4 times ---->|

Next, power chords (2 bars each), as follows:

Bm G F#m G
    Bm G F#m G A

2nd Verse pretty much the same.

After that, all power chords, but alternating between:

Bm A
    Bm G F#m G

That's it. Enjoy.

NOTE From Drifting: The chords are incredibly easy to fret, this was one of the first PJ songs i learned, besides the few easy songs off of Ten like Jeremy and the intro riff for Alive, and Release. Other simple songs: Not For You, Corduroy, main riff from Animal, and riff from Satans Bed.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?