replacing tubes\

yeahyeah Posts: 18
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
umm well

i am probably about to get a amp from one of my buddy for cheap and he says the tubes should probably be replaced and i was just wondering what all is involved,,,, can i do it my self?

thanks for any help
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I would take it into a tech if you don't know what you're doing. I personally don't know how to do it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • yeah wrote:
    umm well

i am probably about to get a amp from one of my buddy for cheap and he says the tubes should probably be replaced and i was just wondering what all is involved,,,, can i do it my self?

thanks for any help

Want kind of amp?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • yeahyeah Posts: 18
    some kind of fender from the about 92-95, i think maybe a blues, i honestly forgot
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    As long as you replace the tubes with the same kind, they shoudn't need to be biased.

Which lucky for you, means you can replace them pretty easily yourself.

Don't be afraid to rip off the access panel and replace em. If you really don't think you're up to it, take it to a tech and watch. I'm sure you feel fine after that.

Replacing tubes is like changing the oil in your car. You can do it yourself, and save some coin.
  • silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
    Are these tubes still readily available? Say for a tube amp from the 70's.

Thanks, i know nothing about these things, but eventually would like to get a tube.
  • silverflow wrote:
    Are these tubes still readily available? Say for a tube amp from the 70's.

Thanks, i know nothing about these things, but eventually would like to get a tube.

Tubes are easy to find.... dozens of websites like this one:

http://www.tubedepot.com/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Or if you are going to a tech in some guitar shop, chances are if you buy the tubes there they'll be nice and install them for free.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.