Jordan Bosstone

TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone heard of this fuzz before? i was talking with this old guy that owns a local shop here, and he was saying that its his favorite fuzz effect. i guess they were made in the 60s.
my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    voodoo lab made a clone and their superfuzz is a bit of a bosstone clone as well. i found it pretty harsh but then, at the time, i praobably wasn't using it right.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    pretty classic 70's silicon fuzz bomb effect.

if you want a similar, the Univox Superfuzz is close I think.

Black Cat makes a reissue of the same name. (Superfuzz)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    Originally posted by exhausted
    voodoo lab made a clone and their superfuzz is a bit of a bosstone clone as well. i found it pretty harsh but then, at the time, i praobably wasn't using it right.

he mentioned the voodoo labs pedal, but said it wasn't quite the same.

i found a schematic for the bosstone. pretty simple. i may have to build one up and play with it.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    he mentioned the voodoo labs pedal, but said it wasn't quite the same.

i found a schematic for the bosstone. pretty simple. i may have to build one up and play with it.

while you're at it, throw germaniums in instead of silicon transistors and see if it makes it a little more demure, you know in a prototype at least.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    while you're at it, throw germaniums in instead of silicon transistors and see if it makes it a little more demure, you know in a prototype at least.

whats weird is that it uses a pair of clipping diodes at the output. so i wonder how much of the fuzz comes from the transistors themselves. they way i'm thinking it works is that with the "attack" on lower settings, the diodes create the distortion. then with the "attack" turned up, the transistors start to distort along with the diodes clipping the signal.

i'd like to try swapping Ge transistors in, along with changing the diode types and clipping scheme. maybe try some asymmetrical.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    whats weird is that it uses a pair of clipping diodes at the output. so i wonder how much of the fuzz comes from the transistors themselves. they way i'm thinking it works is that with the "attack" on lower settings, the diodes create the distortion. then with the "attack" turned up, the transistors start to distort along with the diodes clipping the signal.

i'd like to try swapping Ge transistors in, along with changing the diode types and clipping scheme. maybe try some asymmetrical.

you sir have a devious mind........................I like it. I'd imagine rolling it off would produce a nice clean from that set up. The only thing I'd worry about from changing it to asymetrical clipping is losing the whole point of a fuzz, will the wave still be square shaped? If the clipping is asymetrical?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you sir have a devious mind........................I like it. I'd imagine rolling it off would produce a nice clean from that set up. The only thing I'd worry about from changing it to asymetrical clipping is losing the whole point of a fuzz, will the wave still be square shaped? If the clipping is asymetrical?

yeah, at lower setting you could get some clean to lightly overdriven sounds. then it would progress more towards a fuzz when turned up. as for asymmetrical, i think it would probably make the sound a little more dynamic. the distortion created by the transistors would come through clearer.