hey paco. started work on your dcomp

TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
looks like the problem was a leaky transistor. i replaced them all with lower noise ones. i've upgraded all resistors and caps to metal film. there were a couple resistor values i don't have, so i'm going to order them plus the better intersil opamp. then, i'll finish up the mods.

what was that crap you put on the pots?
my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Great, so you got it. Props to the USPS much better than UPS.

The blue stuff is blue tuner cleaner That Ga Power uses on it's stuff. My Dad had it in his basement. Usually I use clear but we were out and that was left. It work's pretty well usually.

Leaky transistor. Just as was suspected, sounded like shit didn't it.

I love metal film caps. So much nicer than the crap that was in it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    you know, just looking over that circuit board, i question why they laid out the eletrical design the way they did. some things don't make sense because they could have done it an easier way which would improve its performance. ground loops are bad. especially being a compressor.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    you know, just looking over that circuit board, i question why they laid out the eletrical design the way they did. some things don't make sense because they could have done it an easier way which would improve its performance. ground loops are bad. especially being a compressor.

Performance is not a really important for Jim Dunlop. they want to get as close to the original sound of the MXR DC's as possible but more importantly as cheaply as possible. They are in the business of selling stuff not making stuff that sounds good. Most likely cost and speed of production were the deciding factors. Look at the hack job they did on the Univibe and their wah's aren't even in the same league as the originals neither are the fuzz faces (obviously good Germaniums NKT's, Mullards are really hard to find and are scarce and expensive)

In essence the Dunlop MXR dynacomp is a bad copy of a decent copy of a Ross Compressor.

Funny that the Univibe (a failed attempt at a leslie simulator turned out to be so cool) and the Dynacomp (a volume humping simulator of the Ross Compressor) turned out to be so cool and popluar and would later be bought up by Jim Dunlop to mass produce. Obviously they still look cool but internally where it counts they are cheap.

Thus the new TS 808. Looks like an old 808 has the same JRC Chip, but it dosen't sound all that good, why? because nothing else is different. Most people prefer the cleaner metal film caps and resistors or carbon comp resistors or tantalum whichever you prefer. (there are two schools I guess) I'm sure the better conducting silver wire provides a cleaner signal as well all leading to better headroom smoother bass response (well bass response at all really)

Hell after you get finished modding all that in the new pedals, why not just buy an Eric Shannon Overdrive :D that's built right already you know.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    well put paco. it’s all about the mighty buck to Dunlop.

speaking of the new ts808. i took my Overdrive into sam ash this weekend to compare the two. I put mine on symmetrical clipping to match the 808. mine had such a sweeter, deeper range of tone. The 808 sounded good but was a little stale. Then, when I flipped mine into asymmetrical, it just totally smoked it. Everybody who’s played my pedal so far has preferred the asymmetrical. I like it too because its less compressed, more natural sounding. But still, I like having the switch on there to add some variation. I’ve added the switch to the outside now. One thing I’ll say is that the TI chip sounds better than the JRC chip. I’ve compared two of my units with each chip in one of them and the TI chip just has a warmer sound.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    well put paco. it’s all about the mighty buck to Dunlop.

speaking of the new ts808. i took my Overdrive into sam ash this weekend to compare the two. I put mine on symmetrical clipping to match the 808. mine had such a sweeter, deeper range of tone. The 808 sounded good but was a little stale. Then, when I flipped mine into asymmetrical, it just totally smoked it. Everybody who’s played my pedal so far has preferred the asymmetrical. I like it too because its less compressed, more natural sounding. But still, I like having the switch on there to add some variation. I’ve added the switch to the outside now. One thing I’ll say is that the TI chip sounds better than the JRC chip. I’ve compared two of my units with each chip in one of them and the TI chip just has a warmer sound.

I agree, I much prefer asymetrical clipping though the option is nice and the TI chip sounds better than the JRC chip, SRV thought so as well. The bass response is a given It comes from the caps and resistor swaps I think.
  • KNOW TOO MUCH! I can't hardly begin to wrap my head around what ya'll are sayin until you say "warm, sweeter overdrive" Tele I'm gonna get one of those F-in pedals soon! and hey how far is Bloomington for you? We are playing there next Thursday at Uncle Festers...Somehow this gig just got booked yesterday but we're all REAL excited...haven't been down to Bloomington since like 89 or so...ah to be young again. maybe see you there?
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
    Originally posted by evenflowrocks
    KNOW TOO MUCH! I can't hardly begin to wrap my head around what ya'll are sayin until you say "warm, sweeter overdrive" Tele I'm gonna get one of those F-in pedals soon! and hey how far is Bloomington for you? We are playing there next Thursday at Uncle Festers...Somehow this gig just got booked yesterday but we're all REAL excited...haven't been down to Bloomington since like 89 or so...ah to be young again. maybe see you there?

really?! thursday of next week (April 8)? i'll definitely come. I go to bloomington all the time to visit friends of mine in law school there. i know that town very well. i always have a blast when i go there. good party town. its only just over an hour away for me. i think i've been to uncle festers once before. i'd love to see you guys play, and i'll bring my pedal!