Options

Banjo Help?

Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I play guitar but have no experience with a banjo..My neighbor gave me one last night that has been in her family for years but she does not play it....How different is the tuning, etc.....

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the tuning is totally different and being 4 strings (or 5) too, the chords are whacked.
  • Options
    Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
    Originally posted by exhausted
    the tuning is totally different and being 4 strings (or 5) too, the chords are whacked.
    Guess I'll take your advice and do a web search
  • Options
    If it's a five string banjo, traditional tuning is Gdgbd. the left G being the funky short string. Basically an open G chord like you would open tune to on the guitar.

http://projectsandhobbies.com/banjochords.htm has some basic chords. Git a piece of straw in your mouth, get a chaw going, and pick to your hearts delight!

If it's a Tenor banjo with 4 strings, traditionally it's Cgda with c being the low string. Tuned in 5ths like a mandolin or a violin. You can tune it ala guitar with dgbe, too, but it sounds more banjo like in the C tuning.

Come and listen to my story bout a man named Jed!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Use an Ebow on it, it's one of the funniest sounds you'll ever hear. I almost coughed a lung up when it starts resonating & you have this sound like a bunch of pissed off bees in a drum.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen