Options

Martin DXM

Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
For $399, would this be a good choice to get, Or are their better acoustics out there for that amount of Money?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    personally I dislike them. Not saying that they aren't any good. If you are playing it and you like it by all means get it. I personally believe in that price range that there are better guitars from Larrivee and Taylor and even Takamine or Tacoma. The DXM's I believe have backs and sides of that wierd laminate stuff that I detest personally, but if you like it go for it. It is a Martin if you want to buy a name.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    get a tacoma
    you won't be disappointed
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    You know those people who say you can't go wrong with Martin? Those people are full of shit. Those cheapie Martins are pieces of crap that people buy because it says "Martin" on the top. I always like Epiphone acoustics for cheapies...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031201133041150131025216512300/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/518257/

Solid top, great body, electronics, pretty good tuners.

Or my personal wishlust guitar:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031201133041150131025216512300/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518653/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    martin's doing a good job of diluting their good name too. should have stuck with calling some of these things 'sigma's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    should have stuck with calling some of these things 'sigma's.

Ain't that the truth...

I can see them discussing this around the boardroom table... "How cheap of a guitar can we make that people will still spend ungodly sums of money to buy?"
  • Options
    Doug RDoug R Posts: 34
    Thanks for the info....I did stop by and play one last night and was not impressed.....The Takamine for 1/2 the price was a much better guitar...Still dont know which one I'll get....Not the Martin though...
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596

How come the sunburst is over $200 cheaper than the natural version?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    How come the sunburst is over $200 cheaper than the natural version?

inventory. They have too many sunbursts and it's probably D coded.

Doug. I'm glad you've decided against the martin, while your at it cross Ovation off the list as well. Plastic is not and will never be a tone wood. Plastic laminant is even worse. Epi's are cool too I agree with McCready is God the Lennon is one of my favorites and I really like sunburst.. The Takamine G series is pretty good too. Still if you can find a guitar store check out the Taylor 110's Tacoma's and Larrivee's in that same price range. The Lennon has been one of my favorites. Solid wood Martins are fantastic guitars priced fantastically. If it looks too good to be true it is.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    inventory. They have too many sunbursts and it's probably D coded.

Doug. I'm glad you've decided against the martin, while your at it cross Ovation off the list as well. Plastic is not and will never be a tone wood. Plastic laminant is even worse. Epi's are cool too I agree with McCready is God the Lennon is one of my favorites and I really like sunburst.. The Takamine G series is pretty good too. Still if you can find a guitar store check out the Taylor 110's Tacoma's and Larrivee's in that same price range. The Lennon has been one of my favorites. Solid wood Martins are fantastic guitars priced fantastically. If it looks too good to be true it is.

I have a Takamine EG-334C (about $550) that I've had for about 4-5 years. I tried acoustics from about $400-$1000 when I got it, and none sounded, felt or looked better to me then the Tak.

There are several models that are a little cheaper, but I wanted the cut-away acoustic/electric.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Epi's are cool too I agree with McCready is God the Lennon is one of my favorites and I really like sunburst.. The Lennon has been one of my favorites.

They're about the only guitar worth plugging into a guitar amp. Electromagnetic pickups... Plug that into our collective dream Fender tube amp, and it's like the clouds parted, and you saw John smiling down for a moment... Well, actually, you'd have to use a Vox Super Beatle... anyways...
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    They're about the only guitar worth plugging into a guitar amp. Electromagnetic pickups... Plug that into our collective dream Fender tube amp, and it's like the clouds parted, and you saw John smiling down for a moment... Well, actually, you'd have to use a Vox Super Beatle... anyways...

yeah if only I had that songwriting talent.

Talent. It's a bitch.

A few notes and John's smiling face starts to twitch
  • Options
    If I could find someone to buy my Yamaha A/E, I'd be all over that Epiphone.

For Sale: Yamaha FG411 Acoustic-electric. Six string, dreadnaught cutaway, 9v preamp, hardshell case. Good condition, plays well, sounds good plugged in. Was used by the seminal basement rock group The Juxtapositions' guitarrist, Spanky. Can be autographed at buyer's request. Actual shipping charges will apply. $350 or best offer...
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    MIG

Any pics of the yamaha?
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, no... and I don't have a web site to host them. I could probably bring it to work and take a couple photos with the office digital and e-mail them to you, if you were really interested. It's a fairly nice guitar, just not the pony for my one trick.
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Probably not worth your time.

I am beginning to look for an acoustic... I am not big on buying without playing.

Thanks anyways.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    Probably not worth your time.

I am beginning to look for an acoustic... I am not big on buying without playing.

Thanks anyways.

I'll be happy to help virtually spend your money for you and do research.

I'm really digging the less expensive 1970's Martin D-28's and 35's

As well as the old Guilds. Another great one to play live are those Takamine Santa Fe's with the solid cedar tops and rosewood backs and sides. they age nicely.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53

I don't blame you, I tell everyone here to try before they buy. I wouldn't sell a bad guitar to a fellow jammer, but that doesn't mean the guitar would fit your needs. Start circulating in the pawn shops and music stores... you'll find one that calls your name...
  • Options
    My fav cheap acoustics are the yamahas.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031204054334066139161209620091/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510016/

I don't know why I just love playing them. Ever since I played my sister's I just fell in love with them.
  • Options
    This one is pretty similar to mine... actually looks like a pretty good deal...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031203182539150131025216372534/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511065/
  • Options
    Another choice to confuse the mix:

Look into Seagull Guitars, too. I had one and it had a great tone. It was 500 bucks or so new, but it was really well made, sounded great acoustically and the electronics were good. I never bonded with the neck on it, now I have Taylors.
    One downside was that it has a cedar top that you have to be careful with because it is soft and dents rather easily. But I liked it best out of all in that range.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I was really impressed with a Seagull parlor-body... it was about the size of a 3/4 scale guitar, but it had a full scale because the bridge was set way back. It sounded good, and played well (full-size frets). I've never plugged any of their acoustic-electrics in, but I always thought they sounded good acoustic. And I like the headstock design!
  • Options
    I think it was Fishman stuff.
    I had a cutaway 6 string.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart