Options

Strum Patterns

porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can anyone help me with any easy way to learn strum patterns.
That seems to be the thing I'm having the most trouble with on guitar. Any tips are appreciated. Also, if you know strum patterns for last kiss, elderly woman, and long road, that would be helpful too. THanks
"That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by porchdweller
    Can anyone help me with any easy way to learn strum patterns.
    That seems to be the thing I'm having the most trouble with on guitar. Any tips are appreciated. Also, if you know strum patterns for last kiss, elderly woman, and long road, that would be helpful too. THanks

Strumming patterns are syncopation. Listen closely to the songs and try to mimic the patterns.

If it helps, for starters try keeping time with your hands, play drums it will help you feel the rhythm of the song which will help you learn syncopation. Or you can learn music theory :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Rhythm patterns can be tuff, but the more you work at it the more easily you'll be able to pick them out. Don't give up, you'll be amazed when that day comes and you realize "hey, i fiqured that out in like 5 minutes!".

Listen to the song closely and try to train you ear to hear just the guitar. Try to get the rhthym in your head - da da da, da da da, da da dum-

Just keep practicing and you'll get it. Learn as much theory as you can, knowing the fundamentals is always the best place to start.