Options

GHS Boomers

Bad RadioBad Radio Posts: 30
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
decided to by them today and see how they sound and feel on my les paul.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    What guage?

Boomers are great for medium to heavy strings, they get a thicker, fuller, chunkier sound. 10-50 or 11-52 are great guages.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    10-50. and i like them alot better than the super slinky's that i have been using.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bad Radio
    10-50. and i like them alot better than the super slinky's that i have been using.

Well, yeah... Slinky's are great for funk, they have that "slinky" sound and feel. But if you want a string that contributes some beef to your sound, get Boomers. It's in the name, after all.

What kind of guitar do you play on? I like Boomers on both of my Tele's and my Danelectro, but I've never tried them on a Gibson (or anything else). I'm actually going to switch back to Ernie Ball Slinky's on the Dan-O, it needs that slinkier sound. But for chunk, Boomers are king!
  • Options
    i play a gibson les paul standard (LE) and a Hamer studio. i want to get a SG but dont have the money to do so right now.
  • Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    The only three guitar strings I will buy now (I play bass) are Blue Steel's (Dean Malarky), DR's (Preferrably High Beams, but I have Low Riders on my P-Bass right now and I like em a lot) or Elixirs... not Elixir's TOO much though, because they're hella expensive and once the coating starts peeling you've gotta deal with that... so I go with the steel's...

And is it just me or does it seem like Blue Steel strings "glide" more easliy than DR's? It seems like it's easier to slide up and down the neck with those, but I'm not sure if that's just me going crazy or something...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    Originally posted by parchy
    And is it just me or does it seem like Blue Steel strings "glide" more easliy than DR's? It seems like it's easier to slide up and down the neck with those, but I'm not sure if that's just me going crazy or something...

There's always flat-wound.
  • Options
    And is it just me or does it seem like Blue Steel strings "glide" more easliy than DR's? It seems like it's easier to slide up and down the neck with those, but I'm not sure if that's just me going crazy or something... [/B][/quote]

blue steels ARE slippery. I play guitar and bass and I love em. and you are totally right about the DRs. great sound until the coating peels. It's like a bad sunburn. I wonder if the strings get itchy? haha
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ever tried elixers. great on acoustic not so much on electric. I've wondered about bass.

Blue Steels are great but you have to change them pretty often.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    after years of searching....my favorite electric strings that i use exclusivley now are DR's, and for acoustic its all about the elixer's.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    after years of searching....my favorite electric strings that i use exclusivley now are DR's, and for acoustic its all about the elixer's.

Me too. Exactly the same. DR's on electric and Elixers on acoustic The DR's sound better longer than any other string to me.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'm on board for the elixers. i love them. i haven't changed the strings on my 12-string yet. it's like 2 years old.

should i give a couple sets of DR's a try next time i buy electrics? i'm using GHS boomer 11s right now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i'm on board for the elixers. i love them. i haven't changed the strings on my 12-string yet. it's like 2 years old.

should i give a couple sets of DR's a try next time i buy electrics? i'm using GHS boomer 11s right now.

yeah if you like boomers you should like DR's. A little cleaner same volume. I usually get the Tite fit electrics.
  • Options
    I use Boomers on my Les Paul and Strat. They're my favorites for electric guitars. Elixers are my fav for my acoustic.
  • Options
    I use boomers on my electrics and martin SP phospher bronze on my acoustic. I tried elixers once and wasn't a huge fan... I didn't think they were bad, but just different.

Might be a dumb question, but I've never used flatwounds... what's the difference?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Flatwound are amazing on bass, a very different feel... It's been ages since I played a flatwound guitar, so I can't really say about that. But on a bass, they give a sort of fretless sound, no squeaks on string slides. And they're even better on an actual fretless. But they're a preference, not for everyone.
  • Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Flatwound are amazing on bass, a very different feel... It's been ages since I played a flatwound guitar, so I can't really say about that. But on a bass, they give a sort of fretless sound, no squeaks on string slides. And they're even better on an actual fretless. But they're a preference, not for everyone.

Yeah, not for me I guess... Rounds give me a louder more clashing sound, and I really like it...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    The only guitar strings I'll use on my guitar. :) I play 10s......damn they hurt my girly fingers LOL
    "you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself"

"model role-model no dumma dah...fuck"
    Satan's Bed 5/3/03