So I got my first guitar...

WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
an acoustic "Mantayna" I think it's called. It reminds me of Tony Mantayna from Scarface.

Anyways, it's been a long time since I wanted to get one and learn. A friend had the old 6 string. Got it tuned up and restrung. I also got a 1st step guitar book. Last night I learned E, F, G and B,C,D notes, etc. Pretty soon I'll be doing Old McDonald and Jingle Bells - LOL. Hopefully I'll be doing some PJ soon.

Is it considered a good guitar or just a cheapo?
"This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LOL I'm the only one here!!
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

• This place is alot quiter than the porch. But theres alot less shit on here too :)

Yah I have never heard of that brand before.

If you wanna learn some cool and easy pearl jam quickly, you should try wishlist.

http://www.giventowail.com

for tabs
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • MAN! with the chords you said you learned you can play Rockin in the free world!!!! (well you need e minor but it's really easy)

The entire song!!!!!

i assume you know the tune RITFW since u have like 800 posts.
    So it goes like this: (play the tune in your head with these chords)

Em, Em, Em, Em, Em, Em, Em, Em, D, D, D, C

then the chorus goes (its harder cause you don't notice it that much when it's played you mainly hear the vocals for this part and they don't follow the playing exactly):

G, G, G, G, D, D, D, D, D CCC Em
    I improvise on the strumming for the chorus alot so it's hard to explain. It doesn't matter though cause it's the verse that will make you say "wow I'm rockin here!!!"

e minor is: open on the fatest string, 2fret on the 2nd fatest, and second fret on the 3rd. Only play those 3 strings I believe.

Learning guitar is so exciting :)
  • Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    MAN! with the chords you said you learned you can play Rockin in the free world!!!! (well you need e minor but it's really easy)

The entire song!!!!!

i assume you know the tune RITFW since u have like 800 posts.
    So it goes like this: (play the tune in your head with these chords)

then the chorus goes (its harder cause you don't notice it that much when it's played you mainly hear the vocals for this part and they don't follow the playing exactly):

G, G, G, G, D, D, D, D, D CCC Em
    I improvise on the strumming for the chorus alot so it's hard to explain. It doesn't matter though cause it's the verse that will make you say "wow I'm rockin here!!!"

e minor is: open on the fatest string, 2fret on the 2nd fatest, and second fret on the 3rd. Only play those 3 strings I believe.

Learning guitar is so exciting :)

Ok I'll give it a shot....I'm only on like page 3 of a beginer's lesson book, I don't want to rush too fast, I don't want to get frustrated.

I printed out Wishlist and Nothingman tabs from Given to Wail, and it looks like Calculus 3. I guess I'll be cutting down the amount of TV the next few months. This is already a blast. I can't wait till I get home.

Thanks a bunch.

• Tabs are very confusing when you look at them. I have learned several songs from tabs and still when I first open up a tab it is insane how my head spins.

WHishlist is sooooo easy. Once you get your fingers in place you have to move 1 finger the entire song. Your hand doesn't even move :)
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    thanks for the RITFW chords.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    As a beginner don't use the tabs from Given To Fly. Use guitaretab.com or ultimate-guitar.com. GtF tends to have very accurate tabs however you can play a lot of PJ songs in much easier fashions than they have on their site.
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    I've found http://www.chordfind.com to be especially helpful in figuring out chords I don't know, as well as learning some new ones for the hell of it.
  • I agree with Hyla. Also remember not to get discouraged. You'll hit times when you're in a rut and it seems like you'll never learn anything, then one day, bam! you can do it.

I got in a huge rut for a very long time. It got to the point that I almost quit. Finally one day I said, "ok, this is it. I either learn or I sell this crap and start basket weaving". I went and got some lessons from a guy once a week. You wouldn't believe what a difference it made. As far as technical stuff he didn't show me much, I pretty much had that stuff down, but he gave me a whole new perspective on playing. My biggest BAM! moment to date.

If your old enough, go to clubs and watch guitar players, watch them on T.V. Talk to them when you can and ask them questions. Eat you vegetables.
  • cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    also try
    for tabs http://www.olga.net/
    For Free Lessons http://www.riffinteractive.com/

I just got back into playing again after only messing around with it a long time ago. The riff interactive lessons are great they show fingerings, tabs, audio and video. You can purchase the lessons on cd rom or just sample some of them online. Weekly Free intermediate and begginer classes and they archive them so mess with it at your own schedule. The catalog of lessons has the ones for sale, choose by music style, skill level or a few other categories. I found the lessons to be really fun. I found the alternatice/grunge lesson to be lots of fun. Drop tune and did some Nirvana as part of the lesson.

The Online Guitar archive was a lot of fun, but it is just tabs some of which are dead on accurate and others are so-so. Great database of tabs. So You can look up Pearl Jam songs and start giving them a shot. Wishlist is criminally easy. I also recomend Immortailty. Hail Hail, Satan's Bed are also in my current list of songs I play around with. It is nice to hear recognizable music rather then a hen pecked "mary had a little lamb" "twinkle twinkle little star" etc.

As a fellow begginer, I know all too well what challenges there are and there are moments. Go for wishlist and have some fun. Enjoy the small momentary victories. Nothing like the big grin of picking it up and making a recognizable tune.
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.
  • OK now, I'm making some nice progress here, RITF was a blast and pretty easy. I have a general question. The following is the first Wishlist verse from Given to Wail:

-|
    |
    -|
    |
    -|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--|
    -|-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0--|
    -|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3--|
    -|
    |
    Intro, all palm muted, play five times (Riff 1)

The way I read this, is start with the 3rd highest string (G), and "0" means a base note, no fret. The numbers "2" and "3" mean what? 2nd and 3rd fret? What strings are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines?

I've learned basics from a simple lesson book with sheet music, showing notes etc. but I'm having a little problem translating to these tabs.

then if you look on gutairetab.com, it has the same thing, but the letters E B G D A E are in front of the lines from top to bottom.

Thanks for your help.

• rickprickp Posts: 219
    Originally posted by WhiteMaleRat
    OK now, I'm making some nice progress here, RITF was a blast and pretty easy. I have a general question. The following is the first Wishlist verse from Given to Wail:

-|

|
    -|
    |
    -|-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--|
    -|-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2-0-0-2-2-0-0--|
    -|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3--|
    -|
    |
    Intro, all palm muted, play five times (Riff 1)

The way I read this, is start with the 3rd highest string (G), and "0" means a base note, no fret. The numbers "2" and "3" mean what? 2nd and 3rd fret? What strings are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines?

Technically the "0" is an open note, not a bass note (by that, I assume you mean root note, in which case, the "3", 3rd fret on the A string or the second thickest string, is a C, which is the root of that chord)

There's a lesson on how to properly read TAB in the FAQ section on Given To Wail.
  • cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    Cool enjoy the small victories such as RITFW, I know that is great to hear music once in a while rather than strumming exercises.

The 3& 2 are the frets the 0 is open note.

Tabs are where it gets screwy Some tabs will just say standard tuning others may just say drop D tuning and assume you know what that means - what notes the strings need to be tuned to. While other tabs will list the tuning with each string. Such as the example you have posted for wishlist. Some tab sites have FAQ's and guides that can be very helpful. Other tabs can be someone's scribbled down notes that may make sense to them but won't translate to you at all.

standard tuning E B G D A E and line them up on the strings as
    E
    B---
    G---
    D----
    A----
    E

An electric tuner is a good investment. I got a crappy little one with my starter kit. I invested some more money (more than I maybe should have according to my wife) and bought a digitech GNX1 guitar processor so I could play with some effects and different amp sounds. It has built in tuner and tons of other stuff but way too many features and things for my skill level of begginer. But it has a kick ass tuner and some wild effects and can be hooked up through midi cables to my computer to get new presets, and combinations. on the bright side after a few weeks of shopping I did find one on ebay for less than a new one. $160 or so new ones range from $200-$275. And while that is less and does have its risks it seems that people reselling them seem to do alright rather than lose a ton of money should I decide I am not using it.

I hope the explanation about the tabs makes sense.
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.
  • ohh sorry, I think I answered my own question from the lessons on guitaretab.com - that's a great website.

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    Originally posted by rickp
    Technically the "0" is an open note, not a bass note (by that, I assume you mean root note, in which case, the "3", 3rd fret on the A string or the second thickest string, is a C, which is the root of that chord)

There's a lesson on how to properly read TAB in the FAQ section on Given To Wail.
    actually by 'base' note, i'm pretty sure he meant 'open string'.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Yar.
  • Originally posted by uninnocent
    actually by 'base' note, i'm pretty sure he meant 'open string'.

yes, open string, my favorite right now because it's the easiest. I have a new respect for guitar players. Man it's hard, you have to be smart and coordinated. So far so good.