Betterman Chord question

WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
2x023-

this chord progresses down the fret board.

How do you technically play it with the "x" ?

Is it with the index finger on the top string (e - 2nd fret) while it barely touches the 2nd string (a) to mute it out?
"This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    2x023-

this chord progresses down the fret board.

How do you technically play it with the "x" ?

Is it with the index finger on the top string (e - 2nd fret) while it barely touches the 2nd string (a) to mute it out?

I probably do it wrong, but I hit the top E string and then pick out the bottom strings.

I hit and open E, then hit F#. Then I pick the bottom strings.

It works for me.

Someone else can probably explain better.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • WhiteMAle- your correct with your laying your index finger on the F#, which in turn mutes the A string.

And as far as I play it.. PissBottle- I do the same thing hammer on the F# note then play the rest of the D chord. As for the Next chord I do the same thing.. which works because its an E chord on the bottom half anyway..
    "He who forgets will be destined to remember"
  • You don't actually strum the chord until later on when the song hits the lyrics "...memories back when she was strong...", and then you hold the 6th string down with your thumb, and mute the 5th string with that same thumb (it's easier than it sounds -- your thumb is practically doing it anyway).

Before that though you hammer on to the second fret of the 6th string, then play the 2nd and 3rd strings. Here's a tab that outlines it pretty well -- I'm not sure if you already have a good one, but incase you don't:

http://www.giventowail.com/

I guess I can't copy the exact location of the tab, but u can find it easy there.

Best of luck.
    "Speaking as a child of the nineties..."

It's been real, and it's been fun -- but it hasn't been real fun.

Ed!!! Bring back the stage dives!!!
  • The ManThe Man Posts: 15
    i thought an x meant that it isnt played or palm muted? if so i just rest my finger what ever ones free on the string so it doesnt make a sound,
    on one of the darkeness songs black shuck you play a chord with a string u dont play so i just rest me finger on it.
    palm muting chords, nirvana smells like teen spirit you have to palm mute it and on the tabs it expresses this with x?