where are the chords?? (not like riffs)

PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
when i see the pinkpop 92 alive performance, i see that there are no cords comin from the guitars or bass, how do they amplify the sound? i always wondered this and im not big on effects or any of that stuff.
Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• firstly, just a pointer, its spelt cords.

i think theyre wireless transmitter things...a friend of mine told me the chili peppers use them as well.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    yes i too wondered how you made sound without chords, then the mispelling started to make sense.

Anyways, to answer your question, its a transmitter, you should see the guys wearing them, and if you dont, well they are there. I believe they work on radio frequency, not quite sure how though
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Hah... man that spelling threw me...

Anyways, if you have the L@TG DVD, look at Jeff or Mike or Stone when they turn around... you'll see these things that look like battery packs strapped to their guitar straps... it runs from their guitar to their amps...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • ok i changed the spelling lol
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I believe they all use the same Sony wireless transciever system. They have little transmitters, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, that they attach to their guitar straps. There is a little cable that runs from that transmitter to the guitar's output jack. Then the signal is broadcast in UHF to a reciever, then through their racks and effects, then into the amps and then cabinets. Most big-name artists use wireless transmitters for their signals, for a bunch of reasons:

1) You don't trip on cables.
    2) You don't rip out a jack on a guitar, effect, or amp by tripping on cables.
    3) You don't short out your cables by tripping on them and breaking them.
    4) If you switch guitars, you don't unplug anything, you just switch on the new transmitter and switch off the old one.

For a more thorough picture of all of this, go to:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/index.html

And click on the archived signal diagrams from the 1998 (Yield) Tour. I love Jeff's rig, it's so damn complex but sounds so good!

For more info on wireless systems:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040320142147150131025216878403/g=guitar/search/c=4633
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.